Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #1 
Miyazawa

about incandescent light

So i have a 2.5 minibow tank, and it has a 15W incandescent light bulb. I'm wondering if it is okay to let the light on for more than like 5-6 hours when im away. Im scared that it will get too hot and explode or something.........
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #2 
Micho

I'd switch it with a fluorescent bulb, you can find ones cheap at lighting sections like Wal-Mart or any hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes). Incandescent bulbs are inefficient and may heat your water too hot. . .
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #3 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
I'd switch it with a fluorescent bulb, you can find ones cheap at lighting sections like Wal-Mart or any hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes). Incandescent bulbs are inefficient and may heat your water too hot. . .
I'm doing that next time I go to Walmart but then is it okay if I keep it on for now?
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #4 
Micho

I guess so, just monitor the temperature, cause the bulb might heat your water even more. . .

Do you have plants in your tank? I'm guessing not since incandescent bulbs aren't the way to go, don't leave it on for so long, just let in some natural light, or your room light.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #5 
1983SS454

Like said above the only issue with incandescent bulbs is the heat that they produce. There is nothing wrong with leaving one on for hours, it's not going to explode. The bulb in your hood is no different then the christmas lights you put on your house or tree that get left on for hours. Most likely most of your lights (unless you've changed them to energy saver bulbs) in your house are incandecent. They just produce heat, and aren't as efficent to light as fluorescent, LED's, ect.
1983SS454 is offline   Reply With Quote