Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #1 
Citrusy

temp 1g tank?

i have a betta that i need to seperate from a devided tank cause for weeks now all he does is flare and go nuts at his neighbors, i tried housing him with other bettas i have female and male. he still goes nuts and gets stressed, also he has ripped his fin from fanning out a lot.

my question is, can i house him in a heated 1g corner tank till next month when i can buy him a new tank? i don't want him to get stressed and die. i will be getting him either a 2.5g or 5g sometimes the middle of next month.

will he be ok in the 1g for that long of time? yes i will be changing his water daily
Citrusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #2 
Banicks

Hi Citrusy,

A temperary 1g will be fine, you may find it difficult to heat it however as the 5w heaters that fit into them are unadjustable and usual maintain a temperature 5 degrees above room. If you can, monitor this with the use of an internal suction thermometer. They are relatively inexpensive and useful to effectively monitor the temperature.

Make sure you give him a cave which can be as simple as putting a boiled mug into the tank, and a few other small aquarium safe things. Just so he doesn't get bored or feel unsafe.

Daily 100% water changes won't be necessary unless you're treating him for something - may be an idea to watch his ripped fins incase it turns to finrot (then treat accordingly with AQ salt in the 1g). You should be able to get away with 100% every 3 days, or 50% halfweek, 100% end week.

Hope this helps :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #3 
Citrusy

ok good, yes i have extra decor to put in and extra thermometer and a small heater that fits. it was technically a QT but we have sense bought a 2.5g tank for QT and is currently being used cause i found a betta i couldn't live without :)

oh and it has sand as substrate if thats ok to use.
Citrusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #4 
Banicks

That's fine mate. Many members here use sand, my understanding is to be careful of air bubble pocket build ups, as they turn toxic and can kill the fish instantly if it escapes the sand into the water.

Don't use it myself, am looking towards it for a NPT thought.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #5 
Myates

Sand is fine to use.. but the downside is if he's in a 1gal, you will be doing more water changes. If the 1gal has no filter, then you will need to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week, which could get difficult with sand.
Since it's only for a short while, I would up it to 3 50%s per week to keep your sand in place =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote