Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #1 
purplemuffin

Questions for those breeding..

I always love learning about things, I hope you don't mind my curiosity! I know people like to talk about their fishy babies so I figured some people might be willing to answer some of my questions. I'm sort of interested in what breeding bettas is like to each individual. :) What is important to you in a spawn...

What do you yourself consider to be a super successful spawn? The most fish making it to adulthood? Quality, color, and finnage of the babies equaling or exceeding the quality of their parents? Or something else?

What percentage of your spawns would you consider to be a big success? What's the most fry you have hatched and raised to adulthood and what method did you use? What is the average number of surviving fry you tend to have? Ever have any spawn that was just very special to you--your first successful spawn, that one fry you never thought would make it, but did and was gorgeous, the spawn with almost all fry having beautiful colors and amazing finnage that blew your mind, or trying out a different method that worked better than you could have imagined, etc?

How often do you keep bettas from your spawn to breed later? Do you find you have more hold backs or that you sell the majority of them? What is your favorite tail type to breed? :) Ever do anything...risky? Maybe breed two tail types that shouldn't really mix, but might make something amazing? Or breed that petstore betta that just looked like something 'special'? Are you glad you experimented and learned through what happened(for good or bad) or do you have regrets for not following the general rules?

I dunno. :) No one has to answer every question if they want to respond. Just the ones that pop out at you that you really have a strong answer for and really feel like sharing your story! I just like hearing personal stories and what people feel they have learned through the months/years of breeding, whether they are new to it or have been doing it for years.

Random. :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I love breeding, period. I love to watch nothing grow into something and later produce more beauties..... what ever it may be - fish/aquatic life and or birds. I don't like to keep something I can't breed.... except for dogs.

A successful spawn is when I can get high percentage to survive to adult. My largest hatch was over 1300 fry but my largest to survive is only over 300.

A super successful spawn is when I get a high percentage of show quality in one spawn. But I never really pay attention to this because I don't really care about their quality - as long as I can rehome them.

A successful "project" is when I achieve show quality bettas from "rejects" through my own cross breeding. Only done this once. Currently I'm just experimenting on new (to me) traits.

One thing I learned so far is that no matter what quality your pair is, as long as you know they're from a good line, they will produce good quality fry. On the other hand, no matter how good a pair is but if they're from a bad line, you will end up with poor quality fry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:23 AM   #3 
purplemuffin

I can understand. I know in my future I will likely be breeding reptiles. :) I want to be involved in captive bred conservation of the Boelens python. They are endangered enough and don't need the pet trade influencing their demise--since people aren't going to stop wanting them or buying them, we need a stable captive population that will be bred in loving homes and not taken from the wild in addition to more conservation efforts!

Wow! Over 300! That's really cool. Do you find there is an average number that makes it, or is it really too varied to tell? (some less than 10, some more than 100, etc.)

I definitely understand your point about show quality. What good is show quality if they can't get into a good home! I can see how 'show quality' more as a way to help get them rehomed rather than the only main goal!

That's interesting about the line and the quality of fry. It makes a lot of sense. Make sure you know what line you are buying from and all that. :) Thanks for answering my questions! It's a lot of fun to learn and listen to what I can right now!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #4 
Punki

For me, having babies grow, in good health, and have nice homes lined up for, then its a sucess, everything else is just a big plus.
Ive only done one spawn, i had about 70 fry but dragon fly nymphs snuck in. I bred a typical blue/red VT to my pretty CT girl only in hopes of having a few to carry on with, since i love my male to death and hes pretty old, i wanted a piece of him. Im shocked ive even managed to spawn, and have 9 make it to adulthood!
Im going to keep all my girls and 2 of my boys, i dont have any regrets, i spawned with a full 10g and a ton of live plants and even some gravel, but it worked and all was well.
I love loved watching my babies grow, i dont want to part with any of them at all but i must. Its just great watching them grow and learn and dance around, it feels good to know all your hard work paid off and you can share a nice healthy betta with someone else. :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

1300 to hatch! Holy mackerel! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yeah, but I only counted that much one time. My average was around 1000 (hatch). I haven't counted recent spawns with more modern bettas.

300 is my top score, not my average - which is about half of that. I think 300 is the average around here (my country). But others may have 500 or more from one spawn. IMO water quality plays a very big role in fry's survival. By water quality I don't just mean water prams, but also what mineral or micro organism is in the water. Just plain tap water never works for me. I need to age it for weeks before using it..... Maybe this ensures infusoria, not sure because I can never see them. But I do see a lot of blood worms and their gunk like "houses".
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #7 
Curlyfatbottom

With all the off an on breeding that I did over....
I can say breeding is fun....
Changing the water is a pain in the butt....
So many fail spawn in my early teen year....
With low number to survive.....
My biggest number to survive was 300+....
Now I won't even attemp to try anything like that again....
Only keep 20-50 babies from each batch....
N only selecting one or two pair from each batch....
Biggest achievement is getting more the 50% hm from one batch....
I breed for size/finage/color.....
Hope one of these day I can produce one of my very own giant hm....
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote