Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #11 
Sakura8

You can always ask at a veterinary clinic if they will euthanize your fish for you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #12 
TwilightNite

I could not kill a fish.... I just could not.... I wouldn't let myself...... What I would do his change his water every day and keep the water warm and continue with any treatment.... Because Miracles can happen.....
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #13 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
i can't kill an animal . period.
Sometimes it is crueler to keep an animal alive than to put them out of their misery. I know that some people love animals as if they were human, but suffering from a terminal illness is one of the lines that separate humans from animals. A human can live through an terminal illness and all the suffering that comes with it because a human knows that even if the hope was in vain, at less the battle was well fought. Animals merely survive until an illness inevitably kills them. There is a difference between living with an illness until the bitter end and surviving an illness until the bitter end arrives. That difference is the reason why people know how to kill fish, dogs, cats, and every other type of pet.

It's isn't pleasant to think about, but humanely killing a suffering animal is more merciful than allowing the suffering continue.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #14 
Punki

Good job explaining it Snowy, i agree 100%, i was feeling a bit bothered by some reactions of it since i had to do this myself once before.
Its not cruel, its completely the opposite.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #15 
sarahbeth1976

I could not kill my fish.....I'd give him a version of hospice care suitable for fish.
sarahbeth1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

I know there was one way (I have no idea about it I have never done it) is putting them in the freezer which apparently slows down their metabolism and have them fall asleep? o_O but no idea about that...

I have heard clove oil and vodka is the best, and most humane. Clove oil acts like a sedative, so there is zero pain, and is probably better then anything else. Clove oil, is often used for big fish who need surgery (like tumors on a koi).
Yeah I don't think I could smash my fish with a hammer -.- I don't care if they don't feel it I think I'd be the one feeling it lol...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #17 
SnowySurface

@Punki
Thanks. I don't like the idea of humanely ending an animals suffering. I know I can handle the emotional sadness better than my pet can handle the physical suffering. It's just one of the responsibilities a pet owner has to face. :(

@Sena Hansler
Freezing doesn't work for bettas because they are tropical fish. A lot of cold water fish can hibernate and freezing triggers their hibernation cycle before they feel the pain of freezing to death. Since bettas don't hibernate, freezing isn't humane for them.

Now I'm off to a happier topic. The OP has more than enough answers by now anyway.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

All the excitement happens while I was sleeping.

Anyway, as the OP mentioned, they have no clove oil. I suggested essentially the only other humane way of euthanising fish unless you seek veterinary assistance. While I hate doing it, it's selfish of me to let my pets linger because I'm uncomfortable.

These are the most humane ways of euthanasia as outlined by the AVMA

"Presently, the AVMA accepts the following methods of euthanasia as humane for fish: pithing/brain destruction, CO2, injection of sodium pentobarbital, immersion in tricane methane sulfonate, immersion in benzocaine hydrochloride, immersion in 2-phenoxyethanol, anesthesia followed by decapitation/pithing, and decapitation w/pithing."

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing the extent to which fish can feel pain and fear. I would rather euthanise a week too early than a second too late. It's my responsibility as a pet owner to ensure the best quality of life I can for my pets, but when that quality deteriorates, it's also my responsibility to provide an end to their suffering.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #19 
Leeniex

Humanely euthanizing a pet is the final act of love IMO. I myself would rather be put to sleep than lay suffering for an indeterminate amount of time.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

ooookay so the advice given to me (because my male survived a surprise poisoning??) about freezing is for goldfish. How annoying x.x lol. And well, like people have said try giving him the best darn time of what's left in his life :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote