Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #1 
noahk11

Question How do i get started?

Im not breeding right now and most likely not anytime soon as i only have a 2.5 gallon tank but i may breed in the future when i upgrade my supplies. So basically my question is what do i need to know on how the process plays out and separation and such. Thanks in advance!
noahk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 
Micho

Read the sticky threads, you'll need a lot of tanks 10 gallons ~ 20 gallons. Lots of small tanks like jars when jarring fry, lots of patience, lots of time, also lots of money.

You'll need a variety of food for fry, also thermometers, live plant, etc.

Basically breeding takes a lot of money and time, also breeding is not recommended with Bettas you find at your LPS. . .
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #3 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahk11 View Post
Im not breeding right now and most likely not anytime soon as i only have a 2.5 gallon tank but i may breed in the future when i upgrade my supplies. So basically my question is what do i need to know on how the process plays out and separation and such. Thanks in advance!
I would say that in order to be ready you have to be able to see each fish as an individual and vary your technique to suit the fish you are attempting to spawn. This has been the key to my success personally. Betty splendens is a great informative website for breeding. I recently had success with a difficult spawn using one of her methods. Knowledge is power in betta breeding, as well as taking failure in stride and being able to vary your technique to achieve success. Best of luck to you!!
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here is a list of questions you should be able to answer before you start breeding. I know you're not going to breed right now but you can use this list to help you research.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...estions-65791/
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote