Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #1 
MFSimmons

Help! Fish destroyed tail

I bought a betta fish about a week ago and he's been active and lively. He's in a bowl slightly larger than a gallon with river rock and a plastic plant which he started hiding in yesterday. Last night and today he was burying himself under the river rock. I noticed a small hole in his tail at about 3:00 and when I returned from a chem lab at 3:30 he had significant holes in his tail. I removed everything from the bowl including the rocks and plant.

What else should I do? I'm not sure what caused all of the holes in such a short amount of time.
MFSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #2 
Myates

Welcome to the forum.. and just like a betta.. at some point they will do something to their fins =P
It was probably the plant.. a lot of plastic plants have points or are sharp.. or "prickly points" where there are a lot of small pointed "leaves". Those are notorious for causing holes in fins and ripping them. The river rock wouldn't of caused it. A fin biter would bite the edges of the fins and you can see it as a U shape.
Silk plants work the best with bettas, their fins are like wet tissue paper, very delicate. He does need plants, so I would suggest getting a couple silk ones. Or a small pack of 3-4.

Small holes can *sometimes* be linked to high ammonia, but since it was that quick, it most likely was the plant. Keep up with your weekly 1 50% and 1 100% water change for a tank that size (if unfiltered.. if filtered replace the 100% for a 50%). Clean water is the best way to prevent fin rot from developing. Stress coat will help heal it a little faster as well. You can use it as your regular water conditioner while it is healing, or you can add in a few drops along with your regular water conditioner.

Hope it heals quickly =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #3 
MFSimmons

I felt bad doing it, but I moved him back into the smaller cup that I got him in because even though his bowl isn't that large, I think the tears were getting a lot worse by him swimming around in the bowl. Was this a smart move?
MFSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #4 
noahk11

I think you made a good choice by moveing him into the cup. But only do it for a while while you fix the tank. It is a good idea to remove the fish from the tank for awhile while you fix things so it can calm down and so it is in clean water with its injuries. So as of now put the tank back together with clean water and let it sit for a while or filter it (if you have one). Then after doing that carefully put the fish back in the tank and let him relax and heal. I recomend (as many people on this fourm do) adding a water care suppliment (Like Betta Care+ or Stress Coat). Good Luck!
noahk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #5 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFSimmons View Post
I felt bad doing it, but I moved him back into the smaller cup that I got him in because even though his bowl isn't that large, I think the tears were getting a lot worse by him swimming around in the bowl. Was this a smart move?
Yes and no. They may tear a little, but that is sometimes what happens when a betta comes from a small cup to his larger home. He will need time to gain strength when swimming as to not dmg his fins. It happens once in a while with new bettas. He will eventually need to go back into his home, and the sooner the better as being back in the cup is quite stressful. If you cleared out the plants that could of caused this, then go ahead and reintroduce him. Float his cup for about 10 minutes to get the temp right. (If you used his tank water, if you gave him fresh water for the cup, or changed his water since you placed him in the cup, you will need to float it for roughly 20 minutes, taking out water from the cup and adding in tank water.

Putting him in his cup wasn't a bad thing, since you were erring on the side of caution. But he honestly doesn't need to be in there if you have removed the plants. Place his rocks back in, and add in a cave or even a coffee mug will work so he has something to hide in until you can replace the plants.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote