Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #1 
noahk11

Question Bubble Nest and Filter

Im not breeding or anything but im wondering if it will make my betta upset that he cannot create a successful bubble nest because the filter output moves things on the surface of the water around. Therefor popping his bubbles. Im not really sure if its his nest or not but hill go up to the top and make a bubble only for the little water movement from the filter to pop the bubble.
noahk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #2 
Banicks

Hi Noah :)

I use a filter as well, adjustable albeit on a 1/4 setting of power. This causes minimal surface movement, but there is some.

Betta's don't love surface movement or current, but on the other hand some don't mind it. If it is causing difficulty for him to make or maintain his bubble nest, he may try harder or just abandon it.

To aid him, you could baffle the filter to reduce current and surface movement. See link: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139 ; this has many differentl DIY's for baffling different filters :D
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #3 
noahk11

I have baffled the filter with cloth (Im getting sponge tomorrow) but there is still surface movement. Again i dont even know if its a bubble for his bubble nest or from going to the top for a breath.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #4 
Banicks

It's not uncommon for the little dude to blow a bubble when he is taking a breath, swimming or eating.

You'll know when he has decided to make a nest, he will be vertical almost in the same area for a long time moving back and forth, going up for air then blowing bubbles :)

I'd say he hasn't decided to make one just yet because of the surface movement or just not in the mood. Some bettas will create bubble nests like crazy, others wont ever make a single one.

Victor has made about 5 or 6 in the time I have had him. Only just recently maintaining a bubble nest daily for this week. First time ever, there is surface movement in my tank, but he has nested in the quietest corner. Smart little dudes they are :)

Just wait and see how he goes I reckon :D
Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #5 
noahk11

Thanks, if he does make a nest i hope he will do it in the corner where there is like no surface movement.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #6 
noahk11

He has started a bubble nest at the end of the tank where the current dosn't hurt it. (tee hee it rhymes)
Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #7 
Banicks

There ya go :)

It's a mood for them. He may keep at it consistantly or abandon it within the day.