Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #1 
Jrf456

It's been a while, recent fish update. (PLEASE READ!)

Well.. Like I said, it's been a while. I haven't been on in a few months, I've been very busy with school, clubs, homework, chores, finding a part time job.. All of the usual things on a high school students agenda.

With all of this responsibility came fish.. 9 bettas I couldn't take care of.

So for a month, I took on the task of finding homes for some of my fish. I didn't want to just give my bettas to any person, they had to have some knowledge on fish-keeping and don't plan on treating them as " just fish ".

So here are the results:

Unnamed
was the first to go. I snagged him at Walmart when my parents were shopping for paint. He went to my neighbor, who had 2 bettas already, one that is 3 years old and the other 2 years old, so I knew she would be a good route.

Suellen
Giving up Suellen was very difficult. She was my 2nd betta. I've had her since June, and I was very attached to her. I gave her to my moms best friends mom, who has a lot of experience with fish.

Melanie
She went to my moms best friend. I had to teach her some basic knowledge, but she got it. I hadn't had Melanie for long, so I wasn't super attached.

Aubin
To those of you who know me.. You know that giving up Aubin must have been hard, it was. Aubin holds a special place in my heart, but he went to a good home, one of my moms co-workers who has many fish tanks.

In addition to the 4 betta fish I had at home, I also gave away 3 bettas I had that I had planned to breed (we have a class called Aquatech where we take care of tropical fish, raise them and sell them to pet stores, an elective) but I hate the class and see through to the giant scam it is. The 2 girls and the male got split up to 3 different friends who I know will take great care of them considering they each have 50 and 20 gallon tanks at home.

So, in total if you add the 3 from school, I had 12 bettas.

12 turned to 5.

I now have a solid amount of bettas that I have the space, time and care for. If anyone else is having problems like I did, PLEASE consider giving your fish to GOOD homes like me, because it's not fair to the fish.

The 5 bettas I kept are:
Heather, Brent, Garland, Douglas and Skyden.

My parents let me put Garland in the spare room, he looks gorgeous there. Skyden, Heather, Douglas and Brent are all on a shelf I have in my room in a perfect place.

For the first time in along time my room doesn't look rediculous! I definitely think 4 is the way to go, for me anyways, because my room fits them perfectly without looking cluttered or " obsessed ".

Thank you for taking the time to read this, PLEASE COMMENT and tell me if you think I did the right thing.. I'm going to update my signature now.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #2 
teasell

Your did a great responcible job. So instead of not taking the best care that you could you did find good homes. I bet you are feeling so much better with a little less to do
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #3 
purplemuffin

I agree, you did a great thing. :) You shouldn't take in more than you can handle, not only will you suffer, but the fish will as well. I know it's hard, we want to keep them all to ourselves, but I'm sure they are happy to get the love and attention they need, and are thanking you still for their new awesome homes :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #4 
Jrf456

Thank you guys! I just wanted some opinions to see if I did the right thing.. I'm glad I did. Thank you for your responses, I hope to hear more. (:
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #5 
elijahfeathers

I agree you did the right thing. I had a similar issue. I had 9 fish at one point... been slowly rehoming. Rehomed a rescue from walmart who I got for free. Sadly I just lost one of my boys (he was sort of sickly to start with) I'm down to 4 now. I feel much better about it. I also am starting to realize I don't like divided tanks, and wishing that I had more room so I could actually decorate my 10 gallon decently...
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #6 
Cosmonian Freed

Yes, I think you did the right thing.
Some people don't know when to stop and get way too many fish than they can handle.
But it's good you know when to say, "Too many fish."
Cosmonian Freed is offline   Reply With Quote