Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #1 
SassyBetta

Exclamation Need to cool tank quickly plz help!

what is the fastest way to cool off a tank. its gettin close to 85 and iv tossed ice cubes in it and took the lid off turned my floor and room fan on and opend the window. i also shut all lights off so not to cause heating. anything ells i can do :( plz
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #2 
purplemuffin

Did you take the fish out? Be careful with ice cubes! Too drastic of a temp change can kill a fish faster than water that is just a little bit too warm!

What happened? Why is it so hot? Heater malfunction?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #3 
SassyBetta

no my room temp spiked cuz the ac crashed earlier today :( i didnt add allot i put the cubes in a bag and only one or two that wasnt helping at all so i changed a lil of the water for slightly cooler water to bring the temp down slowly

and by water change i mean like a lil samich bag of cooler water, nothing huge and drastic

Last edited by SassyBetta; 10-14-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #4 
Banicks

Hi Sassy

Keep the lid off, if you are using ice cubes - as said be careful of extreme temperature fluctuations on fishy. Also, if they are not water conditioner treated ice cubes, you are basically putting water straight into the tank - you may need to add small amounts of water conditioner every 5 minutes to conteract the metals and chemicals now being released.

You can also undertake a partial water change outright, 25% out, 25% cool water treated with water conditioner in SLOWLY. I'm taking a cup per minute into the tank.

With your floor fan, make sure the breeze is going across the top of the water, push a wet damp cloth behind the fan which will cause the air being blown to be cold.

85 is high, but it isn't lethal. Remember out little friends love warm climates, just perhaps not that warm :)

Do all of this slowly and carefully monitor. Make sure your heater is on standby too incase the temperate drops drastically below accepted setting.

Last edited by Banicks; 10-14-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #5 
SassyBetta

yeah my heater wont turn on if the temp isnt below the temp i have set and i had just got done doing a 50% water change with slightly cooler water befor i noticed his tank temp was so high, i finished the change and went to put him lid back on and was like WTF why is the water so hot :( oh and the water going into his tank are fishy water cubes :P my mom has a batch in the freezer at all times for her tropical fish and i always add water conditioner , i had to add some tap when the cubes didnt work so i dripped some conditioner and let it set a lil befor adding it, our water here is actualy really great water :) i live next to the rockies and our filter system takes out whatever itty bitty things might have stayed in the water. but iv got a cool wet rag on the fan back and window and lid to tank are open and off.
its hovering around 82 now so its going down atleast
Old 10-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #6 
purplemuffin

Good luck, I'm glad the temps are going down! Watch your little guy for signs of shock from all these temperature changes, but hopefully he'll be just fine! :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote