Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #11 
Larsa

I take LOTS of pictures for my babies ^^ I am making a huge photo album for my fishes, since they are family to me!!

I treat them waaaayyyy more than my pets- they are my friends, my children, my everything. I do anything in my ability I can to help them, especially when they are sick. i.e:
I remember early this month, Natsuko mysteriously couldn't move except one of her pectoral fins and she failed to get the the surface to breathe. I grabbed her ASAP like lightning when she started sinking and curled my hand gently around her, and held her to the surface to breathe. I sat there over the tank FOREVER holding her so she could get breaths, and put eventually put her in a shallow 1 inch cup of water when I had to go to work. She finally died the next night after that. I wrapped her in tp, put her in a babyfood jar, and buried her behind the bushes of my apt. I put her in a jar because when my lease is up and I get my house I am gonna have a proper burial site for my past bettas, so I need to be able to move her. Until then, I will put some flowers on her temporary grave.

I think I will stick to burying them in a babyfood jar from now on. That way, it doesnt stink up the yard and animals dont bother the site. I have way too much respect for these creatures to flush down a toilet.-I treat them as people because they act like people!! :P I swear... bettas are human souls trapped in fish bodies!!!

Last edited by Larsa; 10-17-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #12 
Littlebittyfish

I have heard it is not a good idea to flush them down the toilet because it introduces the bacterias and parasites that the fish may have had into the water way.
personally I couldn't bring myself flush a fish I had been taking care of 3 years or so..I like to give them proper little burials...haha
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #13 
mjoy79

I have plenty of emotion. I cried for several days after my buddy, Chandler, died a couple of weeks ago. The worst part was seeing him in so much pain. I had to take his pain away and once he was dead, I did indeed FLUSH him. At that point he was no longer there. I did not want to bury him in front of my apartment because he would most likely have been dug up by an animal - maybe even my cat.
Also this is a family friendly forum. that language is not acceptable!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #14 
Fieldz

Guys, even though your betta is dead, remember that you created him for a long time! Maybe months, years, but even days, its certainly more than enough NOT to flush him...

I am really sorry to say this but I cant believe what some of you just said...

Is it that hard to find a place to bury your friend?
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #15 
Littlebittyfish

I have had to bury quite a few fish and our house is surrounded by woods..we have opossums, raccoons, stray cats, rats and my dogs hang out in our yard quite a bit...I have never had any of my buried fish dug up.I make sure the hole is atleast 6 inches-1 foot deep though.
/o:
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no yard to bury mine in so yes, it is that hard to find a palce to bury them. It's not something I LIKE doing but it's necessary.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #17 
trilobite

To me, at the end of the day you have a dead fish...its just that and priority number one is to dispose of it. They don't know they are being flushed or buried, they are dead and couldn't care less. The fish doesn't show emotion to me, I am simply a food source and they have learnt to swim up to the glass to be in the best place for food.
Fish are fish, they don't think or perceive the world the way humans do, they perceive it the way fish do.
Its different for a cat or a dog, where you can build emotional attachment to them, but I don't build emotion for fish. I like them, I look after them and I spend copious amounts of money on them but I don't view them as friends and they don't view me as a friend.
Flushing is quick and easy. They don't end up in rivers or oceans, they go to a treatment plant.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #18 
Fieldz

They turn into rat and cockroach food... thats it.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #19 
GrellxUndertaker

I burried my fish, it was hard to find a place because i live in an apartment complex, however there are woods around the area so i burried them there.
GrellxUndertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #20 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
To me, at the end of the day you have a dead fish...its just that and priority number one is to dispose of it. They don't know they are being flushed or buried, they are dead and couldn't care less. The fish doesn't show emotion to me, I am simply a food source and they have learnt to swim up to the glass to be in the best place for food.
Fish are fish, they don't think or perceive the world the way humans do, they perceive it the way fish do.
Its different for a cat or a dog, where you can build emotional attachment to them, but I don't build emotion for fish. I like them, I look after them and I spend copious amounts of money on them but I don't view them as friends and they don't view me as a friend.
Flushing is quick and easy. They don't end up in rivers or oceans, they go to a treatment plant.

+1
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote