Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #31 
copperarabian

I take photo's of all my fish :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #32 
Luimeril

i always have pictures. at least one of every betta i've ever owned. then, sometimes, i'll set up their old tanks, the exact way they liked, and get a newbie.

accidentally, when i set up my newcomer's tank(i just bought the most amazing betta from Chard over the weekend), i put Zidane's favorite plant, Theo's favorite plant, and Caroline's favorite plant in his tank. i think it's a great memorial for three of my favorites.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #33 
Bombalurina

I bury them under the fern near the pond. I like idea of dead animals returning to nature. I know it means nothing to them, but I like to do it as a gesture of respect for the joy they gave me when they were alive.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #34 
Dragonlady

Breeding bettas is a great way to memorialize them. Does that make sense?
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #35 
metalbetta

For some of my fish I like to bury them in flower pots. The rest are buried in the ground.
I take a TON of photos of my fish, so that's a great way to remember them, too.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #36 
TheKingsFish

To flush, or not to flush
Has never been a question.
For us 'tis nobler in the mind
To bury in a garden
Or else feed the body
To the hungry bonfire
And thus, keep their embers
Burning that much longer.
Either way they are given
Some sense of life
Though they commence to sleep.
To sleep, perchance to dream.
Ay, there's the rub;
For in their sleep of death
Do dreams still come?
Do they know of the shrouds
The Poet embroiders
With their names?
Do they read the epitaphs
The Bard so lovingly "pens"
With her memories
To give them honour?

Translation: for the most part, we give them a variation of the Norse burial. In other words, they get wrapped in a little shroud and placed in a box with the things that they used in life and a few symbolic gestures. Usually food, a pebble from their tank, a strand of hair from each of us, a penny (a shield of sorts as they are "fighting fish") to pay the ferryman, and a "blood tipped spear" (a toothpick with some red paint). In the summer months there is this isolated little beach on the shores of a nearby lake where we have a small bonfire that the box is usually set at the bottom of. In the winter we go to the river and light a small fire on the ice (but not while we're standing on it). When the rivers thaw or the floods come their ashes are washed toward the sea by the water like a viking funeral pyre set ablaze and sent to float away.

There are some that we've buried in a flower pot (red dwarf lily, columbine, white carpathian bell flower, forget-me-not) because they were particularly special to us, or because we still have their spawn.

We recently lost a double-tail we were given whom we called Richard of Gloucester (or Richard III) because of his crooked (s-shaped) spine. He was perfectly healthy when the pet shop gave him to us and led a very full life while he was with us. He had trouble getting to the surface in the first few weeks, so I gave him one of those hollow plastic lego blocks that smarties used to come in so he could have a floating hiding place. He got very depressed if you ever tried to replace it with something else, so in spite of our more esthetically pleasing attempts to make his bubble better, it stayed. He was nearly a year old when--as far as I can tell--he curled up in his lego block to rest when his organs failed. He is currently in the freezer waiting to be buried, lego block and all. There is a crooked tree in our yard where we intend to bury him.

In addition, I normally write a poem about them and post it on the forum. In light of a plague our babies have suffered from recently, I have many yet to write, but you are very welcome to read them.
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #37 
trilobite

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
At least you're allowed to breed them! ^^ Just make your own lines. :)

But think of the grand scheme of things.
Take for example, what happened here in the U.S...Snakehead were brought over from SE Asia and then released into our lakes and rivers. Now our natural inhabitants are dwindling in numbers because Snakeheads literally eat anything that moves and are extremely territorial. We aren't allowed to bring in certain species alive anymore.

We aren't as nearly as environment-friendly here as we should be. :/
Yeah I suppose so haha :D
but its hard when the selection of bettas is so small. And two of our main/best betta breeders have recently quit the game.
Yeah, situations like the channa in the U.S is the thing that nz fears will happen in our waters
Woah, I was googling how to import into nz and cetain species such as bettas have to be batch tested. so if I bought a bunch of bettas into nz a large number of them will have to be killed and tested for viruses...

"Breeding bettas is a great way to memorialize them. Does that make sense?"
Thats kind of how I memorialize my bettas
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #38 
cajunamy
Banned

The ones I really bond with get buried. The others generally go in the trash or outside in the ditch
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #39 
Noemi

I bury my all my pets including bettas in my backyard, and mark their grave with a stone. Then I light a candle and some incense, and say a few words. I like them to return to nature
Noemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #40 
fleetfish

There is a certain rotting log in the yard that I put their bodies underneath, and it is surrounded by flowers and fungii. It's home to an ecosystem of slugs, ants, millipedes, centipedes, spiders, earthworms, microbes and beetles.

The dead bettas return to the Earth. One time I lifted up the log and was astonished to find a fully intact betta skull. It was so delicate that I accidentally crushed it in my fingers ... but I was glad that the little guy gave his body for the Earth. It's how I remember them. Whenever I lift the log and see all of the vibrant life beneath, it reminds me that there are many loved ones buried in the soil ... it's a very sacred place to me.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote