Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #1 
sylentwhisper

Betta and his Tankmates

Crossocheilus siamensis(Siamese Algae Eating Shark) and Albino Rainbow Shark are what I have in with my Betta, they get along, but not sure how to care for them properly, what diet can i give them that will not hurt the betta?
sylentwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

The algae eater obviously will eat algae :) algae wafers are good, from what I've been told. Not sure about the tiger shark - and amazing that he gets along with your betta :) an interesting, but not unheard of mix.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #3 
hedgehog

What size is your tank? I fully admit to not having any personal experience with either fish but a cursory google search tells me that the Siamese Algea Eating Shark needs a 30 gallon tank and that the albino rainbow shark are aggressive and don't do well with tank mates that are smaller than it with the exception being large schools that tend to be nippy.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #4 
sylentwhisper

Albino Rainbow Shark is similar to the Siamese Algae Eater, but he will eat similar stuff to both of the other 2. Thanks for the advice on the Algae eater tho.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #5 
hedgehog

Sena--the algae eating shark is actually an omnivore so it needs shrimp pellets and/or blood worms in addition to algae wafers.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

sylent, also note that from what I have heard of the rainbow sharks they do get bigger, and I have seen some that are definitely much bigger than bettas :p I am not sure of the albino though.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #7 
Myates

Welcome to the forums!

How big is your tank?

The albino rainbow are territorial and semi-aggressive who get about 6 inches and they need a lot of space. It will not be wise to put a betta in with one.

As far as the algae eater, I best to let you read it so you can understand better..
Siamese algae eater
"Crossocheilus siamensis
This fish is a useful algae eater, eating thread algae and the brush algae ignored by other fish. They also eat planarians ( flatworms ) which can become a nuisance in the aquarium.
SAE can be slightly territorial with their own species so they are probably best kept either single or as a group of 5 or more in large tanks.
Unlike the Chinese Algae Eaters the Siamese Algae Eaters will eat lots of algae. The more common Chinese Algae Eater stops eating algae as it grows larger, becomes aggressive, and annoys other fish.
Minimum tank size for a pair of adult Siamese Algae Eaters is 100 liters (25 gallons). The aquarium should be long and have lots of living plants.
As they are not aggressive, they can be kept in any community tank big enough. Their active behavior might stress some sensitive species like dwarf cichlids and prevent them from spawning. They should not be kept with Red-tailed Sharks (Epalzeorhynchus bicolor) (which yours is pretty much the same thing) unless the aquarium is large and well planted, because that species is very aggressive towards all its relatives.
A very hardy fish, it is easy to keep and feed, eating both algae and just about anything else put into the tank, such as flake food, pellets, live foods, parboiled vegetables, etc. It does a diligent job of removing algae from plants without harming them, as well as from decorations and aquarium glass. Considered by many aquarists as a necessity in any well-planted aquarium. Cover the tank carefully however, as these fish are strong jumpers.
SAE grows up to 6inches needs a well filtered oxygenated water with a pH around 7, temp in the higher 70s"

I don't believe either one will be good with a betta, nor are they good together. Unless you have something such as a 55 gal they are in.

Sorry Sena! I didn't finish reading all the posts (don't know why =( ), but you gave good info, sorry if I stepped on your toes!

Last edited by Myates; 10-14-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

agreed :) As a baby though those two are not too aggressive, so right now don't panic or anything! if they are in a smaller tank than Myates mentioned.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #9 
sylentwhisper

My tank is a 5 Gallon, just have one of each fish, started with the Betta and got the other two today, The Rainbow is slightly aggressive towards the Siamese that he was house with at the pet shop, they both leave the Betta alone and the Betta leaves them be.

Sorry if I seem to be a bad fish owner, I am very new at it... I don't have the room for a larger tank at the current moment, I do have a smaller bowl I can house the Rainbow Shark in.

Last edited by sylentwhisper; 10-14-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

interesting :p But yeah both of your mentions are definitely small as babies as you can see, but they get sooo big lol. Worked at a pet store, and learned that the sharks get mild-terribly aggressive and bigger... best off in bigger tanks.