Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #11 
hedgehog

Oh wow. Bettas really can't have fish tank mates in any thing less than a ten gallon because it's not enough room to prevent aggression issues. Although with the current tankmates the betta is not the big concern for aggression.

The rainbow shark needs 30 gallons and ideally it should have 55 gallons because they are active and aggressive. The Siamese algae eater also needs to be in a 30 gallon tank. More experienced keepers have had problems keeping rainbow sharks in 30 gallon tanks so I can't even imagine trying to keep them in a 5 gallon with tankmates. You either need to dramatically upgrade and return the two sharks.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #12 
Myates

A 5 gal is rather too small for multiple fish, as the two bottom dwellers will soon fight for territory and will eventually pass on due to the size. There is just too much bio load going on for a small tank like that. A 5 gallon can hold a betta, and a few shrimps, or betta with one snail, or betta with one dwarf african frog.. you don't want to do multiple fish in a 5 gal =(

Sorry to break the news.. but they won't last a long time together like that. Best bet is to get your money back for the shark and algae eater before they perish.

In a 5 gal you will need to do 50% water change per week if it is filtered. If unfiltered you will need to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #13 
Myates

Ack! Now Hedge beat me! I really should stop playing with the dog in the middle of typing lol
Old 10-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #14 
hedgehog

Technically you could do multiple fish in a five gallon but only two bettas separated by a divider.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Lol Myates!! :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #16 
Myates

You are right Hedge! I usually offer that when people want more then one betta, but for some reason didn't think about it.

And hehe Sena.. she is in hyper mode right now so she's all over the place. Half black lab, half border collie, full of energy!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #17 
sylentwhisper

im glad i decided to join this Forum, would the Algae feeder be bad to keep with the betta? The Betta doesnt even seem to notice him. Got the Rainbow out and will see if i can return him or something... have him in a little bowl at the moment.
sylentwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #18 
Myates

The algae eater will need at least 30 gals, and even then people have trouble with them. It's best to return both. A tank that size, you really can only do as Hedge suggested, get/make a divider and have 2 bettas.

DIY dividers
Old 10-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Yes, and if you only want one betta you can get a snail (ask about types we have names :) ) or some shrimp. Some bettas may nom on ghost and glass shrimp mind you.

Myates lol definitely sounds like an energy ball, your dog xD never ending energy...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #20 
sylentwhisper

I had been wanting a female Betta but cant seem to find any place to get a divider. Not planning on breeding them until i have more betta knowlege
sylentwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote