Betta Fish Forum banner

Bamboo in my tank?

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
So I heard Bamboo was semi aquatic, and that you could put it in your tank so long as the leaves were out of the water.

I'd like to replant my bamboo plant that I've had a year or so, and wanted second opinions on it since I'm not very familiar with live plants in aquariums (or plants in general lol)

The whole plant, from bottom on the pot to tip of the leaves is about 2 and a half feet tall, if replanting it would be ok, where should I cut it? And how far out of the water should it be? Would it need any special care?

Id take off the gold things so I could arrange it I think.

Anyways, would love some feed back.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I have seen just stalks tossed into aquariums and do fine. Ever see some store sold ones? all they ever are stalks :) basically the leafy parts can be taken off if undesired, but the rest are individual stalks, that's roots are intertwined... as long as you give each piece a good amount of root, they should be fine. Putting in the tank, rinse off the dirt beforehand really well :) You will want basically the roots part and the bottom of the stalk in the water, you could have more in there from what I know, just do not have all of it submersed. It'll need light like any other plant... Not a heck load, but enough to suffice. so, if you have a window nearby the light may get to it 2 hours in the morning or something directly... (I don't know)

#3 · (Edited)
I use craft mesh for my plants that can't be fully in the water...I grow them in the back of my tank where there is an opening for the filter and cords...I lay the mesh over that part and stick my plants though...It keeps my betta from jumping out the opening there and it looks pretty. I do this spider grass and umbrella plants are well.
I got some dried out bamboo for free with a tank I got used and I just clipped the dried out piece atthe end at an angle and have the tip in the water about 2-3 inches. It is already starting to grow roots. :)
I propogate quite a bit of plants in my yard this way actually....I got alot of mexican petunias that way..haha
My tank is pretty close to a window though..

#4 ·
@Sena Hansler
Thank you for the info ^^

@Littlebittyfish
oh thats a good idea :eek:
Im actually picking up some craft mesh today to divide my tank up so i might have to give that a try, thank you!

#5 ·
what's craft mesh ?

does the stalk of the bamboo ever grow taller? .. or is it just the leaves that grow ?

#6 ·
Craft mesh... Have you ever seen a cross stitch panel? Basically they are the plastic ones, and I use them :) tenure sturdy, safe for aquariums, and usually made for dividers and other handy stuff.

Whenever I had bamboo the stalk wasn't really the part to grow. Sometimes it would by a little bit, but mostly the roots and leaves grew.

#7 ·
It is called "plastic canvas", but for whatever reason I always end up calling it craft mesh.:lol: It is used for cross stiching and is about 60 cents per sheet.
I use it to make tank dividers and close and holes in my hood to prevent my bettas from jumping out.

nevermind the water spots on my tankhood. :lol:
Right now I just have my umbrella plant in there.

#8 ·
ooooooooh ok i know what that is!! i remember cross stitching in elementary school ^_^ it was soo fun .. i didn't know it was safe for aq's .. it definitely comes in handy!!

one of my bamboo stalk is too short .. and it barely touches the gravel for the roots to be planted .. T_T .. it's kinda just hanging off the top rim of my tank (it's the curly bamboo kind) will this be ok or do i gotta get more gravel and cover the roots part?

#9 ·
Im not too sure, I know next to nothing about live plants D:

I ended up going with fake plants this time
better safe than sorry ^^

Once I get my tank fully established, I may get some of the harder to kill ones lol

#10 ·
Roots are fine not to be covered :) basis of bamboo in water - give the roots water? Lol. Some bettas don't mind nommin on them either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.