Old 10-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #1 
betta89

Unhappy holes in tail !?!

ok so i just noticed my new betta has holes in his tail
i need help i love him i cant let him die
he is in a 5 gal
50% water changes a week and 100% water changes every other week
plz help i will try to post a pic
what should i do im gonna get him a temporary 1 gal tom or some time soon and will do 100% water changes a day also put in some stress relife?
should i do that?
could it be finn rot?
betta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #2 
betta89

temp is about 80 degrees
he gets 3-4 mini pellets a day and a small pinch of flakes at night or a few blood worms
my betta iv had for about a week and he was fine yesterday he also flairs for 2min a day
i put watter conditiner in that adds nutrients to the watter i use spring also i have stress relife handy just in case
also i only feed frozen not freez dried
is this ok or no?
:(
Old 10-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Frozen is better than freeze dried IMO. could it be fin rot? Has there been an other change in his appearance like fins darker or lighter?

It could be him snagging in weird spots. Possible.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:34 AM   #4 
purplemuffin

Do you have any decorations in the tank? If you move him to a 1 gallon to treat him, check all decor for possible sharp parts. Take something like pantyhose and run it along the decor. if it snags, then it is sharp enough to snag on your poor betta and could poke a hole in his fin!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #5 
Leeniex

You can do a course of aquarium salt, 1 tsp/gallon with 100% water changes every day for 10 days. My VT had holes in his fins when I first got him and they seemed to fill in when I did this.

Dissolve the salt in a separate cup first, and add it slowly to the tank the first time so as not to shock him.

Last edited by Leeniex; 10-15-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #6 
betta89

no he has been acting fine but the holes are all along tthe edge of his finn
not the in side
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #7 
betta89

ya but the holes are only on the out side edge if it was decorations it would be random
Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

along the side? in a curved C like shape? he may be tail biting... stress, sickness, and boredom are usually the causes - even something as simple as a change in the water (quality, PH)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #9 
Myates

Fin rot you will see blackening edges with crusty/flaking pieces as well as shredding.
If it looks like a sideways U, he could be fin biting, a sideways V it could be a snag from a decoration. You said he was fine yesterday so I'm inclined to say it's either biting or decorations. Remove any plastic plants that are sharp and pointy. Some of those "bushy" plants have little points that are notorious for tearing up fins.

Stress Coat or Stress relief will help with fin regrowth. Either use that as the conditioner, or put in a few drops along with your regular conditioner.

Keep up on your water changes (is your tank filtered? If so, you don't want to do 100% water changes, if not, continue with what you are doing). You can add in an extra 25% water change per week until he starts to heal up to prevent rot from forming.

Stop using spring water.. it lacks the minerals and nutrients that they can only get through tap water.

I wouldn't use AQ salt until you are for certain it is rot with the coloring and crusting, or you get a picture up and it is confirmed by others you have it. Salt has potential to slow down the fin growth as well as harm internally.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #10 
betta89

no this is definetly not tail bitting i do have one who does and it looks nothing like it
there on the inside of the fin around the edge they look like there healing but its not from any thing in the tank
any way just to prevent sickness i will put him in a 1gal and add some stress coat
i could have just been overeacting but i have had bettas who hade holes in there tails and died althoug these do look a little different so just to be shour i will um whats the word quorentein him
is that right?