Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Tail too heavy for Ghengis?

I don't know if it's just because he is used to swimming in a cup or jar, or what. He finds it hard to swim too much (tiring?) and rests on the bottom quite a bit. I mean he's eaten already, we got through his stress/panic attack of moving to his new environment, he's exploring and all. Just his tail seems to tip him back ahaha is that always going to wear him out or will he get better over time? I'll give him stuff to rest on :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #2 
aurasoulful

My betta Fernando has huge fins that weigh him down. He would get tired and rest a bit if he swam a lot. He has built enough muscle to accommodate all that swimming. He's huge for a CT. Could be why he is bigger. He's buff XD But he loves his floating plants to lounge in. He's kinda lazy, but he has energy in bursts. I think he may like his 5 gallon better then the ten gallon. I'd say long finned bettas like smaller spaces better. But so long as they are spunky, they will become strong enough over time as they take laps around their tanks. Do you have a betta log? Your guy may love one if you don't have one.
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

His tail is actually average though lol. Crayola has a huge tail (and energy plus personality to match) his is just a decent size. Which is why it was odd xD unless it's more thick?

I don't have a log, but I may get one I saw one in someone's photo and I loved the idea of it!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

It may be thick.. or just so billowy kind of like a sail resisting against the water. What tail type is he? Yeah it's a great thing. Fernando loves his log. I gotta get my two other boys a log too.. Kinda pricey though :/
Old 10-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

He is a VT :) I have a picture on the thread "Ghengis Khan! butterfly betta?" :) I think for him I won't make him be too close to any filter if he is in a tank that has one just so he doesn't have to fight.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #6 
aurasoulful

Yeah, that's a good idea. Speaking of fins, I hear that when the caudal fin and the anal fin fuse close together into a singular fin, that the betta is middle to old age. Fernado's is fusing.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm interesting! I actually never knew that... -checks my Spartan- he is 3 in February.... Hm his haven't yet :)
Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #8 
aurasoulful

Oh, I guess it's just a genetic trait :) 3 years is because he must have such good care! Lucky guy :3
Old 10-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Hehe well he is one of very few I notice that have the long life genetic... I've had a betta last 7 years, another 4... Recently a healthy looking betta with terrible immune was less than a year old -.- so I took my other long life hearty betta Madame and bred her, hopefully that passes on lol.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #10 
Myates

Aww poor guy lol
He should become stronger in time to where it doesn't weigh him down as much. Usually male bettas you purchase at stores would have lived in breeder jars prior to being shipped in the little cups. So sometimes you gets one that just need time to build up strength and muscle.
One of mine wiggles when he swims and sometimes when he stops his back end drops a tad bit. If it's only a little bit, then it's natural.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote