Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #11 
purplemuffin

I wonder the same thing as well. I'd be interested in hearing from owners of 'dumbo' bettas on how well they seem to do and how 'big' the ears can get before causing issues with the fish. I'm not too big of a fan of the look myself, but I know it's an interesting gene, and I know how new genes are often controversial when they first come out until it is proven that it doesn't hurt the animal.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #12 
WashingtonCowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
I was wondering if the Dumbo gene was really something worth breeding for. Sure it's a beautiful aesthetic quality but what does this do to the fish long term?
Not to turn this into a huge debate or anything, but if you'd like to put things that way then what does having fins so large that is it almost hard for them to get to the surface of their tanks, or is an effort to swim anywhere? (a lot of HM and DT are like this) What does that do for the fish long term? How about a CT's rays? What does that do? I can tell you - Nothing. Notta. Zip. Bettas are bred for beauty. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
I wonder the same thing as well. I'd be interested in hearing from owners of 'dumbo' bettas on how well they seem to do and how 'big' the ears can get before causing issues with the fish.
As you saw on the video, Pj's are pretty large, however he gets along just fine. He is a feisty little one, ALWAYS flaring at my CT male who is in the next tank. I feed live gut-loaded guppy fry 3-4 times a week and his are always gone first, even with his "jazz hands" The only downside I've seen so far is it is impossible to take a picture of him, as they are always blurry, hence the video :p
WashingtonCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #13 
mernincrazy8525

haha.jazz hands. that made my day!!! and my dumbo swims just like any other betta i have.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #14 
LaLaLeyla

Holy o.o
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #15 
MrVampire181

so Linda Olson was saying that its a new development in bettas, so I guess as long as its not difficult for them to swim its no problem breeding. so good luck breeding of you choose to.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

HAHA....jazz hands. :) beautiful fish though
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

I have an imported HMPK dumbo ears betta. I thought it was a cruel characteristic to breed into bettas until I got one of my own.

'Big Ears' has enormous pectorals, and has never shown the slightest difficulty in swimming. In fact, he's one of the more active and aggressive males I own. He's constantly patrolling, building bubble-nests and showing off for the two females next door.

Here's a video of him from the seller -

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fishchic...46/PI599e3ZY9k

However, I think it is a strain to put on a HM. That is a lot of weight to carry for a fish, and unless breeders start going for a thicker more muscular body in correlation to bigger pectoral and caudal fins, it's going to cause issues.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

I think closest I had was Crayola who had super long pectoral fins... I do not know if that is the same, lol. Then again he had all around long fins :)

I love the look of those bettas...
Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #19 
TielBird101

WOW!! He's so beautiful!!!
TielBird101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I have an imported HMPK dumbo ears betta. I thought it was a cruel characteristic to breed into bettas until I got one of my own.

'Big Ears' has enormous pectorals, and has never shown the slightest difficulty in swimming. In fact, he's one of the more active and aggressive males I own. He's constantly patrolling, building bubble-nests and showing off for the two females next door.

Here's a video of him from the seller -

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fishchic...46/PI599e3ZY9k

However, I think it is a strain to put on a HM. That is a lot of weight to carry for a fish, and unless breeders start going for a thicker more muscular body in correlation to bigger pectoral and caudal fins, it's going to cause issues.
That's true... because a lot of bettas may have longer fins (more weight) and even thicker fins (even more weight) and if the body mass is not equal to or more than the fins there will definitely be issues - sometimes not right away, but in the future.