elijahfeathers

Listless aside from feeding time for +3 months

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 other males in a divided 10 gal. Was three previously

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and frozen blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 time a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 time a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime, Seachem Flourish

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Nope

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Since I brought him home a few months ago, he's chronically lazy.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not changed but. Unless I'm moving my figner by the glass or feeding he lays on the bottom of the tank, on leaves, ect. He will wedge himself head down in crevices and just stay still, looking dead. He's a full mask dragon with white scaling and Red Fins so it's har dto judge if he's pale or not.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I first purchased him, thought he just needed to get used to the tank
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've tried QT cups with aq salt, tried more frequent water changed, less frequent, fasting, more food, less food, only frozen. No change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Since I bought him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Well I've ha him for like three months now, got him at a pet store.

Honestly I'm getting kind of fed up/worried about Zariel. The longer he stays sick, the more I worry about the other fish being in with him. He's got no deformities aside form a lump of flesh by his tail (but he's a doubletail PK and I've read that they sometimes have those buldges). He's a gorgious fish. He just.... does nothing aside from make me think he's dead 90% of the time. He perks right up for feeding, though he's not terribly great and grabbing his food, he still eats. He's never been 'ill' aside form a run in with some bad gravel when I firt got him that caused him to nearly die and roll upsidedown. I don't know if this did some perminant damage or what. The fish living with him have been perfectly fine (the other males)
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:14 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Sounds like Zariel may have some chronic issues. So I assume by "no deformities" that he isn't bloated?

Here's a thought. Depending on how dirty and disgusting the water in his pet store cup was, it's possible high ammonia fried his brain. I know it sounds crazy but for a betta, being in high ammonia is like a human being in a roomful of carbon monoxide. And also, it's possible this is just his personality. Have you tried putting him in his own little tank? Does he flare? Have you checked his vision?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #3 
elijahfeathers

In his own tank he's the same amount of lethargic really. In the 10 gallon he will occasionally flare and/or watch his neighbor. He doesn't respond to mirriors however.

I am starting to suspect that he's not... blind exactly, but that his vision isn't the best. He has a bit of trouble finding/catching his pellets. Even if I'm stealthy, he knows when I lean toward the tank/put my finger near his glass and becomes interested. He's not bloated or anything.

The only thing I can think of is when I first got him, I didn't rinse his gravel off well enough for his 2.5 gallon at the time. It stopped coloring my water at all... but he started rolling compleatly over and going belly up. I didn't know what was wrong at first, but when I decided to do a water change low and behold getting the water down low enough created almost... soap bubbles where it hit.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Very strange and scary that it bubbled like that. What kind of gravel was it?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

Maybe you got the wrong kind of gravel? Was it aquarium gravel? There are some rocks that are toxic to fish. My mom lost a few koi by putting the wrong rocks in the water! If you put the rocks in vinegar and they fizz, they could kill the fish if left in too long!

Maybe take some of the gravel and test it?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #6 
elijahfeathers

It was black Petsmart brand aquarium gravel in a 5 pound bag. I re-rinsed it 5 or six times more and it was fine. I'd only gotten Petco brand before and it wasn't so hard to clean, but you learn I suppose.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #7 
elijahfeathers

Ugh. I realized that he hadn't seemed to have moved since I got home. I went to try to disturb him. He was gone. It's five in the morning so I can't do a WC yet. Cupping the boys left in the tank with my emergency 1 gallon of treated water.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #8 
purplemuffin

:( Oh I'm so sorry.. He must have already been on the way out, poor guy.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:29 AM   #9 
Sakura8

I'm sorry, elijahfeathers. It sounds like he struggled with some disease right from the get-go.