Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 04:08 AM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Congrats.... you finally succeeded.

Keep your tank closed to keep it humid (Australia is very dry, even during winter months). Humidity will help develop the labyrinth organ which bettas need to breath.

You can use anything solid that won't absorb liquid. Alfoil is good, get it as tight as possible. Just lift it during feeding time and re-place when done. At 29C you should have fry by tomorrow or the following day.

And now the fun begins.... raising fry!
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #22 
Gloria

Well I have you to thank Indjo.. You have helped me SO much.. THANK - YOU!!!

I still have the heater set, It is REALLY hot here atm about 28'c+..I have got the alfoil on as tight as I can.. I only put in 8 pin holes.. I REALLY want to try and get some fry to survive..
Dragon is being a good dad still watching the nest, every now and then he will swim around the tank, it looks like he's making sure he didn't miss any eggs :)
I am SO nervous about raising the fry.. I think setting up the 10L tank was a bad idea now that ive seen the amount of eggs that were placed into the nest.. I will have to do WC and trasfer to grow out tank really early.. I think..
I have got my 2 snails in there as clean up crew..
Unfortunetly my infusoria was spoilt by a toad and my microculture and vinegar eel starter cultures were dead when arrived. So it'll be egg yolk and whatever infusoria is in the tank for their food :$
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #23 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IMO, you don't need the thermometer for now. It's only spring and already it's 28C..... Where I was summers reached a scourging 40C. But it's better safe than sorry.

Start off as you planned - egg yolk and infusoria. But try to get BBS eggs and start a hatchery. If your fry grows quickly the first week, it would be easier and safer to move them early. Further you could start new, bigger food like daphnia or other kinds of food.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #24 
Gloria

Oh ok.. Well I can't take the thermometre out, due to the fact that Dragon for some silly reason built his nest at the wrong end of the tank AROUND the thermometre! :$ silly boy.. But I am still VERY proud of him.. and Tiny :)

I have got BBS eggs and I made a hatchery today so it is ready to start as soon as I see them free swimming. Or should I start it the second they hatch?
I am unable to get daphnia. All i will have is egg yolk, fresh BBS, FBW, FBS and Frozen Mysis Shrimp, pellets and flake.. :$

How will I know if they are growing quickly? Is there an average scale I can go off?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #25 
Gloria

I am also wanting to know when I should set up my grow out tank? I was thinking of doing it tomorrow or later this week to let the water kind of age? And be nice and warm and what not. Dunno... What does anyone/ everyone think?
What is the recommended size for the jars for jarring fry??
Old 10-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #26 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The chart I only know is in bettysplenden. here's the link
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=846

This is a general normal growth rate. Some grow even faster.

As a general guide; 10 - 14 days = minimum 3mm - this is good growth. When you introduce other foods, they will grow even faster.

Start the BBS when they are free swimming. Give them egg yolk while you wait for the BBS to hatch.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:13 AM   #27 
Gloria

I forgot.. I also have freeze dried black worms.. But I have no idea when I should intro them or how to feed them to the fry
Old 10-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #28 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I use 2ltr square (not rectangle) drinking bottles cut in half as temporary jars - floated in the fry tank. If they don't jump out, I move them to 2-4 ltr tanks.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #29 
Gloria

would you happen to have a picture of what that looks like? :$
Old 10-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #30 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You cut them up into little pieces. Don't thaw, slice them while they're frozen. But these (and FBW) can be fed after fry reach 0.5 - 1cm .... careful, an un-cut piece may choke fry.

My phone's battery is low, I'll get pictures tomorrow.