Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Toad Now?

Well, Toad has a new home and I check in on him every once in a while. I don't know the specifics of his actual care, but my sister and I were very adamant on how his water changes should go as well as feeding. I went with my uncle to buy his new tank and directions as well as food and water conditioner.

His housing is a 2.5 gallon and his water conditioner is Prime. He should be getting 1 50% and 1 100% weekly, but I am uncertain if this is actually the case or not. His food remains the same brand as when we got him (Topfin Betta Bits) and he should be fasting at least 1 day a week and getting 6-8 pellets on the days he is not. Temperature should be staying steady at 78.

Now, Toad's issues are his tail, his side, and his mouth.

Toad's tail developed a blue streak at the top but continued to look healthy for a while. Suddenly, within the past few days the blue part has become short and drastically jagged. It's a darker blue mixed with a light blue. Toad also doesn't seem to have much motion control in his tail anymore.

Toad's right side seems to have swelling too, with pine coning around the swollen area. It is behind his actual body area and more on top of his swim bladder.

Toad's bottom lip looks to be swollen as well. the top lip looks fine, but the bottom one has swollen into his mouth a little more than usual.

I can't get pictures at this time, but I will try and get pictures and video tomorrow to highlight his issues.

Any ideas on what could cause any of these issues?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

The veil tail is the fish in question long before any issues were with him. This picture was taken shortly after I got Ratchet, so it's been 3 months since. His body is now completely dark red and his fins have spots of this red in them as well as most of them remaining clear. He has also grown quite a bit (the female in the picture is a king from Walmart and he has grown to be near that body size).

The blue at the top of the tail is now dark blue and jagged, so I doubt that it is a rot since he's had it since my sister got him.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pataflafla; 09-23-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon hospital tank (Half filled so only 1/4 gallon)
What temperature is your tank? Should be at 76
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No (Will float in divided tank or sorority for warmth if needed)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? I think he's been fasting, but he hasn't been in my care so I am unsure of how much, when, and fasting

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Planning on daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aquasafe Plus and 2 tsp/gal epsom salt (bumping it up tomorrow)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated, pine coned, tail is ragged and dark blue at top
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Have not had him back for more than 10 minutes so I do not know
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 2 tsp/gal epsom salt soon to be 3 tsp/gal
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. He was very healthy in my care
How old is your fish (approximately)? Older than 1 year most likely

I have not had him in my care for over a month now, but his appearance and general health has seemed to greatly diminish in the time since we gave him to our uncle. I do not know if water changes were followed or how much he was being fed.

When we gave him to our uncle, we made it very clear that Toad was to have 2 water changes weekly and to be fed a max of 10 pellets daily (He's a very big betta, but not quite a king) with fasting at least 1 day per week. I went with my uncle when he got toad his tank, gravel, decorations, food, and water conditioner.

His tank at my uncle's house is 2.5 gallons, he has 2 plastic plants, a thermometer, a stalk of live bamboo (leaves out of the water), and Prime is used for water conditioner.

Here's a video of him in qt at my house. He's been slowly deteriorating into this condition for 3 weeks. I have tried repeatedly to get my uncle to use the epsom salt that I premeasured and wrote directions for, but he only put in half of the dose that I told him too. I do not know if and when he's been fasted.
http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=006.mp4
Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Does this look like an internal tumor near his swim bladder?

I'm going to be fasting him for at least another 2 days before feeding. I don't know if he was being fasted before I took him or not, so I'm only going to feed him about 3-4 pellets maximum for the day when I do feed him.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Toad doesn't look as pine coned today as he did last night. He, however, has started to position himself vertically on his tail. He has not pooped and will be getting a slow water change this afternoon. He will probably be changed over to floating in the sorority since the temperature at night isn't ideal for a tropical fish and bundling his tank only results in a 2 degree difference.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Your title was confusing...lol.....I thought this was about a frog/toad....lol...anyway...I couldn't tell much by the video...lovely fella by the way-but he sure is in a mess.....can you post a clear pic of the area in question and you are sure it is not the caudal peduncle that you are seeing....

The treatment you are doing is good....how many days has it been now in the 3tsp/gal Epsom salt....are you using tannins too-if so, what kind and how much....is he eating? just not pooping....when was the last time he pooped?

Placing him so that he can see the girls may help get him pooping too...what temp are you keeping him at....you don't want to go too high with a compromised fish.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

The title was because I posted this shortly after Frog passed when we noticed something was wrong with Toad. We bought them together, so we always grouped them when we named them.

Today will be his first day on 3 tsp/gal. I have not had him in my care for over a month now and I just took him back tonight. I don't have access to IAL or Oak leaves. I'll try some decaf green tea, but he's taken up a dropsy stance so I don't know if he has too much longer left.

For temperature, it's been room temp while he was with my uncle (So about 74-76) and I have kept the hospital tank room temp as well though it does get colder in my house at night, so I'd say tank temp for him would be about 74 or slightly lower.

He ate yesterday morning according to my uncle, who gave him 4 pellets. He hasn't pooped since he's been in my care despite the epsom salt.

This is the best picture I can get for his tail, but he wouldn't stay still for an overhead picture, so I took some videos instead.
Name:  007.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  41.0 KB
http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=004-1.mp4
http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=013.mp4

His left side right above his swim bladder is definitely more swollen than it should be if it was just constipation or sbd. His stomach is also very pale and swollen as well as pine coned.

Would 80 degrees for temperature be ok to acclimate him to? This is the temp of the sorority and I could put him in a clear, floating tupperware so he could see the girls.

Last edited by Pataflafla; 10-03-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

I moved the hospital tank up against my 10 gallon so Toad could see Lyra as well as Mirage. He flared and showed off for her, and generally seemed like his old self despite his current physical condition. With all of the sudden activity and flaring, he did manage to poop a little bit (This is while he's on 3 tsp/gal epsom salt).
Old 10-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

Toad has made little to no improvements today despite pooping a very small amount for him. My sister says that if he doesn't improve any by tonight, that she wants to put him down, but I think I will persuade her to give him a little more time on 3tsp/gal epsom salt.

He is still active and willing to show off for Lyra (haven't tried feeding yet). What worries me most (Body condition aside) is that I vacuum the bottom of the tank (bare bottom) and make sure there is nothing left, but I will check back in a few minutes and there will be black dots on the bottom. could this be bits of his tail, poop, or something that can be treated with a medication?

I have parasite medication I can put him on, but I don't know if that will help his case at all and I don't want to use it if it isn't needed.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

Toad has swelled even more despite being on 3 tsp/gal epsom salt. He has not pooped any more, but is still interested in eating (Gave him 1 small pellet for energy).

His poop looked to be normal, just a little small for his size and the amount he would usually eat. Should I treat with an anti-parasitic medication anyway or go for a bacterial medication?