Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #1 
chicagojo

SBD - doing much better but what next (relative newbie)

My little guy Rock N Roll seems to be pretty much recovered from his SBD - and the bad stress reaction he had yesterday when I tried to fish him out to do a 100% water change. Whew! Now I am trying to figure out what I need to do next.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Fasting since Friday evening, when he ate 1 pellet and 1 pellet-sized piece of a pea (I realize now the pea was a mistake, and that's part of what I'm now worried about, but I was going on the info I had at the time so please forgive me)

2. Epsom salt bath Saturday for 20 min and then for almost 24 hrs from yesterday morning until this morning (after he stressed so bad I didn't want to move him again

3. 100% water changes since Friday

So, now my questions:
1. When do I start feeding him again?
2. Should I try to get some daphnia and feed it to him or is he kind of over the hump at this point (I am worried he's going to need something to help push out that bit of pea since he can't digest it)
3. Should I do any more Epsom baths?
4. Could I switch to 50% water changes starting tomorrow? Or just wait until when his next regular change would have been (Wed)?
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #2 
Myates

Glad to hear he is doing better... Epsom can work wonders sometimes =)

Go ahead and keep him in Epsom Salt water (continuously) for another 2 days (today and tomorrow) to make sure that everything that was causing his SBD is fixed. Do daily 100% water changes both days. (Epsom won't hurt him any)
You can feed him, just start him off on about half of what you would normally feed.. so 2 pellets a day for today and tomorrow, then slowly giving him more to his max per day (which I think you use common/medium and not mini, correct?) of 4-6. I think I would stick with 4 pellets total though for a while, and in a week see how he does with 5 if you wish, or he can always stay on 4.
If you can get frozen daphnia, then sure! As he may love it even when not being treated lol.. don't use freeze dried though, as that will expand in his tummy and make matters worse.
The Epsom will help him push out the pea.. it works as a laxative of sorts. So he should be fine as long as he isn't bloated.

Now the 50% question.. are you meaning his home tank or hospital? If hospital, it's always wise to do 100% water changes while they are in it. If it's his home, unsure what the size of the tank is.. but you can definitely do a water change in his home tank so he has a clean place to go to and you won't have to do a water change right after returning him.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #3 
chicagojo

oh, ok, I misunderstood - I put him back in his usual digs this morning (with 100% water change) but I am preparing another epsom bath now and will put him in there a little later after I get my son off to school and my other guy down for a nap (the last thing I need while moving him is two curious boys breathing down my neck)...he did eat one pellet just now and I will plan to give him another one tonight. I don't think our pet store has frozen daphnia but there is a Petsmart not far away so I will call there and see if they have it. Thanks so much for all the help! I will have to snap a pic of him later on and post it so you can see him (warning: he is not the most attractive fish ever - he kind of reminds me of an old man - but my son fell in love with him and that's all that matters, right?)
Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #4 
Myates

Yeah.. best to just keep him in the salts to treat him, otherwise you can risk him recovering some, then going downhill, then recovering, downhill.. bad cycle to get into.
If they don't have the daphnia, I wouldn't worry about it. If he's not bloated (even if he is some, the Epsom will help him) then he doesn't need the daphnia. Usually that is for constipation.

And I bet he is handsome =) Once he is feeling better, his personality will shine and you will think he is the greatest betta in the world =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #5 
chicagojo

Ok, he is back in the epsom bath now. He is not very active in there - maybe he is a little stressed again from being moved (although the move went much more smoothly today than it did yesterday)? He was doing really well before I moved him - swimming around all over the place, blowing bubbles, etc. Now I am a little worried that I should have just left him alone. Hopefully he will perk up again soon - this morning we were calling him our "miracle fish" because yesterday we thought he was a goner for sure and this morning he was a whole new fish!
Old 10-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #6 
chicagojo

Quick update - he seems to be doing a little better now - I think he just gets really stressed out whenever I move him. I wish there was a way to do a 100% water change in the little temporary bowl he's in without taking him out but I don't think there is, unless anyone here has any good ideas! Anyway, here is a pic of him hanging out in his epsom bath (this is my first time uploading a pic in this forum so apologies if it doesn't come out right). As I said before, I know he is not the most beautiful fish in the world but he is kinda cute in his own way...

Whoa, that came out huge!!!! I will try reducing the file size next time!
Attached Images

Last edited by chicagojo; 10-17-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add comment