Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #11 
Maryrox247

DO NOT USE THE PEA. I repeat, do not use it!!!! D: Believe me, the pea is not good for your betta. Bettas are carnivores, at least in nature (after all they eat algae here and there in the pellets but still a small amount), so their bodies are designed to digest meat...not veggies. My suggestion is to fast for 1-2 days then feed your betta some daphnia or frozen or live brine shrimp (sea monkeys). Point is, as long as it is small, he can see it, and it is an easily digestible meat then it'll work.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #12 
CrowntailTwitchy57

um, well my brother is a new betta owner so all we have is freeze-dried bloodworms and flakes.
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #13 
Myates

Both of those are notorious for causing bloating/constipation which can lead to SBD.

Make sure he only feeds a tiny bit of flakes at a time, twice a day, and soaks the FD blood worms in tank water prior to feeding, 2-3 worms at a time per meal.

He may be a new betta owner, but since you know about them and have them.. why not teach him some things such as the food and everything else? Does he have a tank that is 1 gal or bigger, is it heated, filter baffled if it has one, water changes are being made appropriate for the size and filter, etc.. He may be new, but he has someone who can help him and teach him and that is better then most new owners who don't do any research prior to getting a pet.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #14 
CrowntailTwitchy57

um, well, ok here's the story:

He's special needs, so teaching him anything is out of the question, and the only reason he has one is because when I went out to buy mine, he just HAD to get one too, and in the back of my head i KNEW it was a bad idea.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #15 
Myates

That's fine.. then educate your parents =) My daughter is special needs too, so I know all too well how it can be, and how hard it can be to say no. But the fish also needs to be taken care of properly, when healthy and sick.
Not trying to attack you, and sorry if it sounds that way.. but if you can't be there to make sure things are being done when it comes to the betta, it's best to do what you can to make sure it does get the appropriate treatment and care.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #16 
CrowntailTwitchy57

Yeah, well I will have to check on him tomorrow because it is my bedtime right now lol. Wow I met someone else on here with a special needs family member! I'm not alone :)
Old 10-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #17 
Myates

Good night, and you're never alone =)
Old 10-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #18 
Hisaki Yuki001

My CT Betta has what I suspect to be constant SBD as well. I know it's not caused parasites due to having treated him for them just in case. This was caused by a bad internal infection he had that literally caused severe internal damage as his tummy almost split open when he was sick. Anyways, he's as healthy as can be aside from his SBD at this point.

This is how I care for him. I feed him once a day to every other day a very VERY small pinch of crushed up flake food. I only give him enough to eat within a minute. This pinch of food is half of what I would give my healthy female CT fry before I was able to get her BBS a while back. If his tummy swells a bit I fast him until I see no more signs of swelling.

I only feed him this amount because he can't handle any other types of food as well that I've tried so far. Also, like I said, he has internal damage so he has a hard time passing stools as well if he eats anything more than that.

I keep him in a divided 5 gal with heater and filter. The divider is sealed in due to his immune system being very weak. I do a 50% water change 2-3 times a week and rinse his filter once a week unless it starts to look a bit nasty. The carbon in the filter gets changed once a month like clockwork.

NOte: I know feeding just crushed flakes and brine shrimp isn't recommended as a rounded diet for your Betta. Like I said though, these are the only foods I've found so far that my little guy can handle. If you could find a few alternatives to a better diet that your Betta can handle that would be good.
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #19 
CrowntailTwitchy57

great news, guys! i checked on him this morning, and i guess the 100% water change helped! he is almost back to normal, just a teensy bit floaty at times. i will fast him for the rest of today, will that be ok?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #20 
Myates

If he is bloated, then yes fast him.. He may of needed to have more water changes done. Instruct your parents on how much is needed per week depending upon size/filter of the tank. Glad to hear he is doing a little better.