Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #1 
EmFishy

Help me name him. and confirming his color

i recently went to an actually fish store (not just a pet store. my parents actually know the owner and vouch that it's a really nice, knowledgable place, the owner goes and hand picks the bettas he has for sale in the store. in fact i'm planning on getting at least one female from me, for future breeding (by future i mean FUTURE.). and bought a gorgeous male that i was told is pretty close to mustard gas in color. i've just been a little confused by him.

sorry about the flash in the pictures. i have him in a 5.5 gallon and the hood that came with it is rather junky. i want to get a much better one, that actually seems like it's doing it's job, unlike this one.

this is the one decent non-flash picture

he's kinda a ham. he'll come rushing up to the front of the tank as soon as he sees some one, and the lighting is worst at the edges. so i don't really get good pictures of him.

his fins ARE mostly yellow, with dark navy edges (the color looks brighter in the flash. and in some of the flash pictures his fins look more blue then they are. which i think is iridescence). his fins also have little red spots in them, which he had when i bought them. body is blue, that is closer to black at the head.

i was told he was mustard gas. but i want to make sure he actually is. i know he's Veil-tail but i've never had one of this coloring before and i love this coloring, so i didn't want to pass him up. (he wouldn't, however, be one i would breed with. i have a lovely halfmoon male that would be a better candidate instead, if i get a good female that can fix any of his quirks. (check my albums!! his name is Xavier. he's black with little hints of green. his fins are translucent. i love this fins. they are like a black veil. he knows his handsome too.))

but my biggest problem O_O he has no name. i just can't think of a good one. at first i was going with greek mythology. but with him i couldn't find one to fit. then my halfmoon male went with an OC name, but this boy still doesn't fit that category. please help me name him.
EmFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #2 
BettaMummy87

He isnt, strictly speaking, a "Mustard Gas". They were bred by the creator of the specific colour pattern:

"The term "Mustard Gas" was originally coined by breeder/hobbyist Jude Als to describe his particular line of multicolored bettas. The original Mustard Gas bettas were green-bodied fish with variegated bands of blue or green, yellow, and black. In 1999, Als added a band of white as well, developing certain specimens of Mustard Gas into a four-banded butterfly, the colors of which were never clearly separated, but rather run together, creating an effect that looked like gas to its creator." - http://www.bettysplendens.com/what-i...gas-betta.html

I believe the original breeder [Jude Als] trademarked the name, and never gave many (if any) people permission to use the term "Mustard Gas," even if they did breed from his lines.

He is technically a "Blue/Yellow Bicolour", but you will see these marketed as "Mustard Gas" all the time. Its become pretty much synonymous with "blue-yellow bicolour" betta. :) He's lovely though! I'd love a blue/yellow bioclour myself. :D

Last edited by BettaMummy87; 01-20-2015 at 11:33 AM.
BettaMummy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #3 
EmFishy

i was wondering, really, when i was looking at him. because i was skeptical. but still the coloring was so lovely.

am i right, though, that his fins look more blue because of iridescence? i making an assumption but i can't find any other reason for it, since they don't look blue at all in RL (where they are yellow, that is). lol
Old 01-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #4 
BettaMummy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFishy View Post
i was wondering, really, when i was looking at him. because i was skeptical. but still the coloring was so lovely.

am i right, though, that his fins look more blue because of iridescence? i making an assumption but i can't find any other reason for it, since they don't look blue at all in RL (where they are yellow, that is). lol
Its a possibility, yes. There could be iridocites there that are not visible to the human eye normally, but are picked up when using flash. :)

ETA: He is porobably closer in colouration to the 'Salamanders' of Marianne Lewis (who outcrossed a Jude Als Mustard Gas fish). Marianne doesn't breed them as 'Salamanders' anymore, so again its a resembleance and doesnt make it that fish. Its all a bit territorial, this naming thing. :)

Last edited by BettaMummy87; 01-20-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #5 
EmFishy

it's absolutely crazy. naming. whether claiming a coloration as your own or just naming a fish *eyes blue and yellow boy* i had an easier time naming my cat. silly girl is currently staring at the computer was i type. it's funny.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #6 
BettaMummy87

Now, I'm pretty weird... Alsdorf? Its just, their municipality flag is blue and yellow. *shrugs* I may do that if I ever get a "gas" male. :D

without Coat of Arms

Last edited by BettaMummy87; 01-20-2015 at 01:45 PM.