Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #1 
finney

So, what would you call this guy?

Hi, long time lurker, first time caller.

Long story short, was at the LFS last night and just as I was about to leave, I decided to take one last walk through the fish room - I'd just geeked out about finding Crystal Black Shrimp and hadn't really looked at much else, just snapped them right up.

On the table where they bag fish for customers was a sign pointing to about 10 bettas in cups:

Locally raised bettas! Males: $5 Females $4.50 All fish male unless otherwise noted.

I picked up a few cups and didn't see anything special. Red. Blue. A peach female that was sort of nifty. And then I saw him. Him.

Who? Him.

That's Kaspar. And I don't know what to call him. Partial albino cellophane? Occular albino? Cool as heck?

And what kind of tail is that? It's not rounded like a plakat, but it isn't anything else either.

He's red eyed and blind as a bat, poor thing. When he swims the upper levels of his heavily planted 5 gallon home, he just jets around bumping into things. During feeding, he smells food and then picks around the gravel until he finds something. Too bad he's blind so there will be no breeding him. :(

Although, it's sort of fortuitous, considering his tank mates are shrimp. Since he can't see them, they'll be friends rather than snacks.

Here's one more of Kaspar in the first moments in his new digs:

finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #2 
MMAsac
Banned

hes beautiful, very nice find!!!
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #3 
Myates

Aww he's so precious!
Definitely a cellophane.. as for albino, looks to be that way, but if he is blind that could be the reason for the red eyes. Usually albinos have no color to them I believe. I could be wrong though.

Can't tell the tail type yet, as it looks like either he was, or another one, munched on it. So I guess it will be a surprise! Either way, great find!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #4 
bkelizabeth

Blind or not, he's cute as a button! Poor little guy! Glad to hear someone like yourself noticed him :D <3 I'm sure you're taking great care of him!
bkelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #5 
Fermin

Aww what a cute little guy!
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #6 
finney

Thanks, all. I was very fortunate to find such a beautiful fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelizabeth View Post
Blind or not, he's cute as a button! Poor little guy! Glad to hear someone like yourself noticed him :D <3 I'm sure you're taking great care of him!
Awww thank you. I definitely love all my animals and try to give them the best home that I can. I have a special needs kitty as well (born deaf) and I don't even think of him that way. I think there's a lot to be learned from "disabled" animals.

And even a fish has feelings. He didn't ask to be my fish, so it's my responsibility to make him glad he is.
finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #7 
carzz

The red eye makes him seem albino. They have have red eyes due to lack of color pigments in the eye, thus showing red due to the blood.
But he's got color on him (unless it's a flash or glare of the photo) so maybe he isn't albino.
Nevertheless, he is cute :P
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #8 
Pewmew

could develop into a delta tail, or maybe veil
Pewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #9 
Bambi

he looks kinda like a blue pastel(or a cellophane, can't quite tell as i never took flash photos of my cellophane girls before they passed) in the photos, who(if his eyes are really red) has ocular albinism.

Last edited by Bambi; 10-17-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #10 
betta lover1507

he is an unique pretty fishie ^-^ i looked at betta talk for his finnage and he is a "lyre tail"? check for yourself:
http://bettatalk.com/betta_finnage.htm
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote