Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #11 
GreenTea

Yeah I got a 20 gallon long with a hood, two filters, heater and 15 lbs of new gravel for 30 dollars once. 25 for what she's offering seemed perfect.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:20 AM   #12 
Pataflafla

I got a 10 gallon with hood/light, filter + cartridge, sample water conditioner, and sample fish flakes for roughly $30 at Walmart. Albeit this was brand new so she shouldn't be expecting that much for a used tank of questionable integrity. I wouldn't trust it to stay sound for too long, and fixing it up might cost you even more if you were to buy it.

I'd say to get my 10 gal set up, it cost me about $60 with tank + accessories, gravel, plants and other decorations, divider, heater, and water conditioner.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #13 
ilovebunnies

It's pretty crazy that the woman thinks she should get $60 for that stuff. The thing about fish keeping equipment is that it depreciates in value especially if used. No one makes all the money back that they spent on fish. Even if she made a third to a half of the money she spent back she would be lucky. Top quality tanks like ADA and GLA are probably the only things you could sell used and get most of the money back. She'll figure it out sooner or later when she looks in her closet and sees the stuff still sitting there, not being used.

You are better off looking somewhere else. ;)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #14 
Foisair

Do you have a Goodwill or another second hand store? I got a 10gal (I think. Haven't measured it yet) with hood for $6! It was $12 but I was there the day that color of tag was half off. Everything really needs cleaned, but it was a screaming deal.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #15 
SmokeNLark

Wow, that's nuts. Don't worry though, I constantly see 10g with or without extras going for 10-30. $60 is wayyy too high for that. Especially for craigslist. Who knows, maybe when no one buys it, she'll message you and take $25 for it :p
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #16 
karendawne

I just got a brand new 10 gal with a hood and light, and a filter with pad at WalMart for $29.95. No heater but that was a brand new price, she should in no way feel offended. She was asking too much to start with.
Karen
karendawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #17 
Littlebittyfish

Walmart sells a tetra glass 10 gallon tank kit for 30 dollars...It comes with the filter hoodlight and the tank..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #18 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by karendawne View Post
I just got a brand new 10 gal with a hood and light, and a filter with pad at WalMart for $29.95. No heater but that was a brand new price, she should in no way feel offended. She was asking too much to start with.
Karen
beat me to it!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #19 
BettAy Paige

Talking

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand my obsessive Craigslist lurking finally paid off!

I hit upon a lady who posted about was cleaning out her old storage unit and wanted to just her old tanks out of there and find someone who would would really put them to good use.

Granted, they are covered in muck and dirt at the moment, they are fairly old, and will probably need some major rehabbing and elbow grease and resealing, I think I caught a good deal:

-1 100 gallon
-1 60 gallon
-2 30 gallon
-1 20 gallon
-1 10 gallon
-1 1 gallon hex
-a couple HUGE vases and decorative gravel/stones

All for a grand total of.......
$40!
:
None have hoods, lighting, or stands, but seriously.....I was so taken aback. I thought I was only getting the 20 and 30 gallon, but she just kept loading up my car! There's no way I'll use them all (at the same time anyway, heh-heh), but my short term plan is to fix up the 10 gallon, DIY some sort of cover/hood/divider, cycle it, move my two guys into it, and then slowly fix up one of the 30 gallons and settle them (and maybe some new boys!) in. Then....who knows?

Sororities, plants, crazy decor designs, tons of room for my little fishies....my mind is spinning with ideas! Anyone wanting to offer advice on fixing up old, disused tanks and for cheap tank covers/stands? I need all the help I can get!
BettAy Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #20 
Pitluvs

If there was EVERY a time I wanted to spew out a bunch of cuss words on this forum, it's now! HOLY!! Great deal? You robbed that woman blind!! hahaha There you go... when one door closes, another opens! GO YOU!!

I have a 15g tank that I use craft mesh as a topper on it, the tanks runs on natural light which means bed time is when the sun goes down. BUT you could easily sell a few of the bigger tanks, and buy the hoods for the smaller one! Or put out an add for second hand hoods? You could always build hoods from wood, but that takes money and electrical knowhow lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
craiglist, used tanks