Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #21 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettAy Paige View Post

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand my obsessive Craigslist lurking finally paid off!

I hit upon a lady who posted about was cleaning out her old storage unit and wanted to just her old tanks out of there and find someone who would would really put them to good use.

Granted, they are covered in muck and dirt at the moment, they are fairly old, and will probably need some major rehabbing and elbow grease and resealing, I think I caught a good deal:

-1 100 gallon
-1 60 gallon
-2 30 gallon
-1 20 gallon
-1 10 gallon
-1 1 gallon hex
-a couple HUGE vases and decorative gravel/stones

All for a grand total of.......
$40!
:
None have hoods, lighting, or stands, but seriously.....I was so taken aback. I thought I was only getting the 20 and 30 gallon, but she just kept loading up my car! There's no way I'll use them all (at the same time anyway, heh-heh), but my short term plan is to fix up the 10 gallon, DIY some sort of cover/hood/divider, cycle it, move my two guys into it, and then slowly fix up one of the 30 gallons and settle them (and maybe some new boys!) in. Then....who knows?

Sororities, plants, crazy decor designs, tons of room for my little fishies....my mind is spinning with ideas! Anyone wanting to offer advice on fixing up old, disused tanks and for cheap tank covers/stands? I need all the help I can get!
Epic win! The 1 gallon hex intrigues me. Might make an amazing shrimp tank...

Just make sure you reseal the edges with silicone, and then fill them up outside and let them set for a week to make sure they will hold. Finding stands will be your next big challenge. Are you handy with tools? If you make them you could save a ton of money. If you are lucky and the tanks are all pretty standard sizes you can just buy stands if you can't make them.

If you have a place to store all of them just take your time. Each one will probably cost quite a bit for the filters/lights/heaters so just pace yourself so you don't get overwhelmed.

And pics please.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #22 
purplemuffin

See?? I loooove craigslist!! Congrats on an AMAZING find!!!! I'm sure all the work and cleaning will pay off!!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
craiglist, used tanks