Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 12:52 AM   #11 
Pitluvs

I can't really see anything for the GFP axolotls, but in Canada you cannot import or sell genetically altered fish like GloFish unless you go through a lengthly and expensive process. Glofish has it on their website FAQ. Interesting.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #12 
purplemuffin

I think I know why California says that--they ban almost any exotic animal or animal that could contaminate wildlife. That's why you can't have ferrets, sugar gliders, snails(though some people get away with it), hedgehogs, ALL newts/salamanders(so that would mean axolotls as well) etc. etc. because of fear of them escaping and killing or mating with wildlife. So that makes sense, don't want native fish to turn glowy since it's genetic, lol!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #13 
Pitluvs

Do you know much about axolotls?

Yes, that's what it is here. We have a province that banned domestic rats. But glofish being altered is a no no to our environment, and since the company doesn't want to proove or pay that they are safe, I'd wouldn't own one if I could.

They do follow the same rules are Zebra Danios though, groups of 6+ and large tanks for swimming. They are active fish and can be territorial, especially of the top lever of a tank. My 3 are savages.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #14 
purplemuffin

Oh yeah, I know a lot about axolotls. :) I've been researching them for several years now! A member of a few forums for them too.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #15 
UrbanHavok

thanks I'll be sure to keep doing research before I buy anything. I have mixed feelings about them being altered, but when I go into the store and see them in those tragic tanks i can't help but want to take them home. (They're small so it seems they cram in as many as possible)
UrbanHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #16 
karendawne

I didn't realize they were an altered fish when I got mine, but I've had them for quite a while and love to watch them in the aquarium. They are so colorful and although I don't use a blacklight they are still beautiful. Even without special lighting they are very pretty in the aquarium setting, I just love mine. Haven't had any problems at all with any of them.
Karen
karendawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #17 
Bombalurina

To my knowledge, the altering process isn't cruel the way it is for dyed or injected fish - they've done similar things to rodents and made mice that glow under a blacklight. Pointless process to spend money on doing, though - how are flourescent mice or fish ever going to help humanity or the world we live in?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #18 
UrbanHavok

@karendawne...They are really pretty and I'm sure if you got accent pieces in the tank that compliment them, their colors would pop even more.

@Bombalurina...lol sadly I don't think they were thinking that far ahead.
UrbanHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #19 
purplemuffin

The fluorescence changes depending on water quality. The idea was to use these fish to test the waters in rivers and such. So have a fish in a cup, add some river water, see if his colors change.

You know how bettas can look great and fine even in terrible conditions? The idea is to have a fish that cannot hide that it is in bad water so they can test for things that are difficult to test for.

The rest is more a science experiment and seeing how dna can affect other organisms. Plus the one artist who put the protein in a rabbit as a statement about how everything is genetically modified these days. Of course if that rabbit ever bred there would be glow in the dark rabbits, how bizarre.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #20 
diablo13

I don't see anything wrong with glowfish, the fear of mating with wildlife I understand, but they aren't like dyed fish. The first experiments they're EGGS were injected, not the fish. And from then it was just them breeding. Though I think Zebra Danios are pretty enough as it is. 15 gallons for a group of 6-7. I guess you could maybe do 10 if you kept up on water changes.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote