Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #1 
Rjb5584

May have found something today (no pics)--need advice

I was at the petsmart from where I've gotten all my other unusual guys, and came across a truly strange combo: a pyrite [aka "fools gold"], vivid lavender, and red crowntail male. The pyrite was a copper, but with a definite golden tinge to it. It was really something to see!

However, he had some other qualities that were really something to see as well--and not in a good way. He was rather old-looking, very lethargic, had really bad scale shape, and I think a case of SBD. Most dissuading, though, was a lump or bulge on his body that was about the size of a pencil's lead tip near where his tail and anal fins meet. To use a more unflattering description: he's "tore up from the floor up".

I'm still debating on getting him though. Despite all his flaws, his colors were truly unique (I think--never heard of pyrite being a color). Could it simply be something a little TLC could fix (in the case of SBD and rump-lump)? Has anyone seen that pyrite coloring before?
Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:24 AM   #2 
bkelizabeth

OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE go rescue him :((((((
I think I've seen the color you're describing... but maybe not so gold. Sounds interesting. You should rescue him and take pics ;)
bkelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Do whatever your heart leads you to do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #4 
Rjb5584

Heh, if I did what my heart told me, I'd be broke, out of room in my apartment, and have a very pissed landlord!

Confirmed with my girlfriend (who first found him) that he was "definitely gold, not copper".
Old 10-16-2011, 02:23 AM   #5 
Indyfishy

The "rump lump" is probably his caudal peduncle, which is nothing to worry about. All bettas have them, some are just more prominent than others =) if you like him, i'd get him! he sounds really uniqe!!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #6 
Rjb5584

The rump lump is actually on the right side of the caudal peduncle. It looks the way a kink in a cattail does: not too big a deal, but obviously not supposed to be like that.

Seems gold--although not common--isn't a unique color. Still, though, i've always wanted a unique crowntail, and I think this guy might be it.

But there was also a deep solid charcoal gray double-tail that I think might turn straight black, which would be a heck of a find too! Or the copper and red super delta, or the poor tail-biting purple and yellow crowntail...

Decisions, decisions....