Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #1 
bllauben

Couple of more questions

I got the heater yesterday and the thermostat. The sister-in-law thought that Flash needed a tablespoon worth of food yesterday when she was pet sitting Flash and the three cats. Needless to say, I did a complete water change yesterday after returning home. Food all on the bottom and I was not comfortable leaving it like that.

The temperature is about 76ish degrees. Is that okay? I cannot adjust the heater. I had a hard time finding a mini heater to begin with. The thermostat is on the edge of the vase (which I am looking to upgrade when the husband is not looking-may be a 5 gallon or 10 gallon one. Found a much larger one I would love to have with different fish-cat TV at it's best).

Flash does not like the pellets. He takes one and spits it out. He's okay with flakes, but does not seem to enjoy them that much. Would it be okay to get him some frozen food? Bug larvae? **Chuckles because the sister-in-law really gets grossed out feeding a raw diet to the cats and the bug larvae would only make things even more interesting**

And, is okay to feed him once a day?

-Thanks!
-Beth
bllauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #2 
Miyazawa

bettas like to be in 78-80 degrees water. it will be great if you can upgrade it to a actual tank :D Also, maybe Flash just needs time to adjust to his diet, what pellets are you feeding him? I feel like he will eventually "give in" and eat your pellets. I do 2 pellets 3 times a day as my feeding schedule. I know people do feed their betta frozen bloodworms, or brineshrimp to give them variety but i don't feed them frozen foods so other people can answer this one :P
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #3 
Myates

Yay! 76 is fine for them, it's on the very bottom of what they require, but it will do (your heater may just take a bit longer to warm up the tank, as a fast change in temp is bad) but if you can get it higher, that would be great. Make sure to put the heater all the way under the water unless it says different, and place the thermometer on the opposite side to get the correct reading for the whole tank.

Frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, etc will be great for them. Just cut off a little chunk and defrost in some tank water before feeding as to not over feed. Use tweezers to pick out the pieces and feed one at a time. You should still try to get him to eat pellets as those are the best staple, next to frozen foods. A mix of pellets and frozen would be great for him. Try crushing up some garlic cloves and add the crushed garlic to some tank water, soak in a pellet or two for a couple of seconds then try feeding them to him. The garlic tends to act as a hunger stimulate for them, so it may help him get used to eating pellets.
You could do pellets one day, frozen the next, or one meal frozen, another pellets, etc.

You would be best to feed him 2-4 feedings a day instead of 1. Doing one feeding you risk either over feeding and causing bloat/SBD, or underfeeding and cause him to become emaciated. They do much better with multiple small meals, even if it's just two.

4-6 common medium pellets a day spread out, or 8-10 "mini" pellets a day spread out (it will say mini on bag). I would say 6-8 frozen food a day, spread out as well. IE: 3 for breakfast, 3 for dinner. If you can't do more then 2 feedings a day, then that is fine. Most only feed twice a day because of schedules.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #4 
bkelizabeth

Good luck with your fish :) Myates got it right!
bkelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #5 
Myates

Thanks! And I so want to steal your sig (Betta feminist) I love my boys, but I adore and prefer the girls lol!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #6 
bllauben

I was thinking about this tank:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753110

I want to get a couple (no more than 2 or 3) of mollies to go in there. I think I'm turning into my dad. He had several tropical tanks, including one with mini sharks. The tank would provide great "cat TV." Win/win.

Flash is getting HBH Betta Bites. The pellets are about the size of his eye. I will try the garlic juice idea.

The thermometer is on the opposite side from the heater. I put a coffee mug in there for him to swim about. He investigated it at first, kept nudging the handle. Then, for the most part, he's ingoring it.

--Beth
Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #7 
Myates

That tank is large enough (9gallons) but it's a rather tall tank.. bettas tend to do better with more surface space then depth. It's cute and good for the mollies, but unsure how a betta would like it, in my personal opinion. And for that price, and possibly cheaper, you can get a 10 gallon set up. It's up to you on what you like, and space available.

If you have gravel or substrate, try burying it down in so only half of it is out, or buried with the mouth down more so only a part of the opening is available. One of my boys loves caves with smaller entrances, will curl up in there and stick his head out.. but he ignored anything with a large opening, such as a coffee cup. Each betta has their own preference.

Last edited by Myates; 10-16-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #8 
bllauben

So, something like this might work:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls

I want to use river rock as a substrate. For some reason, I don't like the look of the gravel and sand. I think it is too difficult to clean (mind you, this is my first tank, but I've helped my dad clean his tanks).

My only concern about the tank above is that it's not an open top. If I am not mistaken, don't bettas need an open top?

I was looking at the Dalmation Mollies. Beautiful fish. If I do the 20 gallon tank, would that be enough for Flash and up to 3 mollies (may be just 2)?

--Beth
Old 10-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #9 
Myates

No, that tank is great. Especially if 20 gallons, which means you can get more fish =)

By open top they mean room for them to be able to breathe. But a top is needed since bettas are great jumpers. There will be an open area where the filter will be in the back, as long as air can get in through that area around the filter, then you should be fine.

I use small - medium size rocks as well.. much easier to clean. River rocks are fine, just soak them for a few days before putting them in. Different sizes and colors will look great =) just be careful since you will be placing them on glass.. it may be wise to put just enough gravel (an inch or so) to cover the bottom as to not crack the glass as easily.

Used to have dalmation mollies.. sadly though, they ended up going from all white with a few black dots, to mostly black with a few white dots. But this was about 14 or 15 years ago, and they may have done enough work with the breed to prevent that from happening as much. In a 20 gallon, you could do a male betta with up to, I'd say 4 or 5 mollies (make sure to get all female, or only one male and the rest female to avoid aggression among each other). You could also do a a couple mollies with a couple female platies. Another thing to look at is cory cats.. they are great little bottom feeders who live wonderfully with bettas and other peaceful fish as they tend to stay on the bottom.

A good stock would be, in my opinion:
Betta, 3-4 mollies and about 4 corydoras for the bottom.

Last edited by Myates; 10-16-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #10 
bllauben

Thanks. I will definately be getting that tank. At this point, if I was forced to give up my two Russian Tortoises, I think the least my husband could do is allow me to have a smallish tank. I think Flash would enjoy some company. My husband has his StarWars costume builds, I can have my cats and fish.