Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #1 
hpwright

Water changes and feeding

I have a 3 gallon tank and have just recently lost a betta because I was given some bad advice about his care. My little girl was so distraught . I have read over the basic betta care advice on this forum and have a heater, replaced my plastic plant with a silk one, have unplugged the filter and will "baffle" it later today, etc.

Here are my two questions:
1. How many pellets do you feed your betta a day? I have now been advised varying amounts by the kind folks of this forum. I have the Aqueon pellets but he spat those out this morning. I am thinking of trying a different brand if they are higher quality. He may have spat them out because he is still under a bit of stress from the change in environment.

2. How often should I change his water? I have also been advised differently on this subject from what I've read on here.

Thanks!!!
hpwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #2 
Myates

Aww poor little girl.

For mini pellets (it will say mini on package) 8-10 a day, spread out between 2-3 feedings, for the common medium pellets, 4-6 a day spread between 2-3 feedings is enough. You don't want to over do them, as their stomachs are as big as their eyes. But under feeding can be just as harmful.
You can try soaking the pellets in garlic juice right before feeding them, as it usually stimulates hunger for them. Either from crushed up cloves mixed with water, or from a jar of garlics you can buy.

In a 3 gal filtered, I would suggest 1 30-50% per week, with regular siphoning, or the stir and dip method of the substrate to get excess waste out.
If you decide to keep the filter out, then it would be 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week.
Make sure to always dose the tank with the full amount of water conditioner regardless how much you take out/replace.

I hope this helps. Each person may do it a little different based on each fish's needs. Some fish are more sensitive, and they do smaller, more frequent water changes. Some get bloated very easy so they stay with 3-4 pellets a day, etc.
What I gave you is pretty much the average from what I have seen and experienced here.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #3 
shutyertrap

I'm gonna piggy back on this post and throw in one more question...how often should the filter be changed/cleaned?
shutyertrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #4 
Myates

Sponge filters you don't want to replace. Once every couple of months when changing the tank water, take out the sponge and swish/squeeze it in tank water that you have removed from the tank and into a bucket of sorts. Then just place it back in. They can go on years like that. If you've had one and it's very worn down, then get another, place it in the filter with your old sponge and leave it in there for a few weeks to gain the proper good bacteria before taking out the old sponge.

Carbon filters, I hear people changing those out monthly, but unsure since I don't use them =(
Old 10-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #5 
hpwright

Also, we are using a 100W heater we have from an old and very large aquarium my husband used to have. I'm assuming this is okay because it has a thermostat?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #6 
Myates

I would be very careful, as that can easily boil the fish.. a 25watt is what is common for one that size.. if needed I'd say can go up towards 50 at the most.
But if you are planning to upgrade it soon then I would hold off to see what size tank you get. But keep a close eye on it, make sure it doesn't get higher then 82*, but if it's one you can adjust on your own, you should be okay with just watching it.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #7 
hpwright

My argument with the husband was that it was too much wattage for such a small tank. He insists because it has a thermostat (and I've got a thermometer) that it will be fine. I still don't feel great about it.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #8 
Myates

It should be ok since it does have a thermostat.. but just keep an eye on it and set it for 78*. If it goes over 82* when it's set for 78, then you will need to remove it.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Do be careful even when setting it for 78F. The thermostats are not that accurate. Always have a thermometer in the tank to check it. For instance, in my house, I have the smaller tank set for 96F and the bigger one set for about 72F, yet both heat the water to 80F. Thermostats are definitely not a guarantee and should always be double-checked.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote