Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #1 
emeraldsky

Stocking My 40g, Help?

So I divided my 40g breeder tank into 6 sections and currently house a male betta in 4 of them (Planning on getting the last 2 tomorrow!)

The sections are about 6 inches wide and 18 inches long and are about 6.5 gallons give or take.

I'd love to get some other fish in there as tank mates for my bettas, but im not sure what would work well with them in the space they have.

I'd like to stay away from shrimp, my last betta thought the were delicious :P

And as for snails, I'd really only want a Nerite snail and none of my petstores carry them ;n;

So are there any different fish I could get? Or would I have to stick to snails and shrimp?

And also, so I dont have to make a new thread, where would one buy nerite snails since my LPS doesnt carry them?

Last edited by emeraldsky; 10-17-2011 at 02:17 PM.
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #2 
GreenTea

No idea where you'd buy but after your betta you only have remaining gallon space for 3 gallons of water in each section, assuming you only use 1 gal per inch of betta, and that's not really room for anything other than maybe 1 fish. Most of your options then for a fish that small would be like a tetra, molly, etc, which would not be good to keep singly with a betta because one will pick on or nip the other. Those other types of fish are also schooling fish and would be stressed in that situation, so unless you do some rearranging, I think one betta with a snail, moss ball, etc would be perfect.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #3 
emeraldsky

Alright, thats kinda what I figured would happen ^^

Guess I can give shrimp a go again, and hope that these guys will be a bit nicer ;)

Thank you!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #4 
GreenTea

You're welcome :) You could also do some rearranging, and have one part of the tank be for bettas and keep a few shrimp and platys or something on the other side of the tank. I bet it's going to look great, be sure to post pictures if you can!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:08 AM   #5 
emeraldsky

Here it is!

Sorry about the photo quality and the water being murky, My phone isnt great and I used some tea for tannins to help ease my guys with the move c:

Also ignore my makeshift cover lolololol

Im picking up my last 2 bettas tomorrow and hopefully some shrimp and plan on taking some real pictures ^^
Attached Images