Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #1 
CalvinWill

Better of 2 evils..?

Right now my fish is in a 1 gallon, unheated and unfiltered tank. I do a 50% water change every day.

I have received a 10 gallon tank with a filter and I will be getting a heater this weekend. While I would like to fully cycle this 10 gallon tank before I put my fish into it, I don't want to have to wait 3-4 weeks to put him into his bigger better heated home.

Is it worse to keep a betta in a 1 gallon unheated and unfiltered tank or an uncycled 10 gallon with a heater and filter?
CalvinWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #2 
guardianfyre

The 10 gallon, definately. The one gallon is an uncycled tank, so the cycle argument would be moot here. The tank will cycle with the fish in it. Because of the larger volume of water, you won't need to worry about the ammonia getting as high in the 10 gallon as you would in the 1 gallon. The heater is another plus for the 10 gallon. Just put the betta in there, though. Don't add more fish to the tank until the cycle is fairly well done.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

I've never cycled my tanks (all have been 5-10 gallons with filters) and I haven't had a problem with it. You just have to keep up with cleaning the tank and water changes which is why people cycle the larger tanks.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #4 
CalvinWill

right on. I didn't think of the fact that the 1 gallon is uncycled in its own right.

I still need to set the dividers up, but i should have my fish moved in by the end of the weekend.

Planning a 3 way split with about 4 gallons each for 2 bettas and then a 2 gallon section in between with the filter and the heater. I want the filter away from either betta's section and the heater in the center on the floor to heat the most efficiently.

Does this sound like a good set-up?
CalvinWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #5 
ollief9

It would be best to divide it two ways to give the fish a bit more room to swim.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #6 
Echo

i get the Carib-Sea Ready Water at PetSmart.. yea, yea.. some folks think the pre-cycled water is a bunch of hooey, but the water where i live tastes horrible, smells even worse, and makes my throat hurt if i don't filter it twice. and i still won't drink it, even after it's filtered. it leaves a white filmy residue on everything, and even the cat won't drink it. i'll be darned if i'm gonna plonk my babies in that <censored>.
makes water changes a snap, too
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:53 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinWill View Post
section in between with the filter and the heater. I want the filter away from either betta's section and the heater in the center on the floor to heat the most efficiently.

Does this sound like a good set-up?
That's what I did. Lot's of advantages to a double divider.

Fish can't see each other.

Not likely to jump two dividers.

Equal heat.

Filter is away from fish. (No fin sucking. Reduces current.)

Place to siphon and refill without stressing fish.

I'm sure there are more.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #8 
Gloria

I have not ever cyled my tank. Is this bad? Or is this one of those eveyone has their own opinion things?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #9 
cherrybello

I agree with the fish in the tank cycle, just need to be a little patient and keep up wuth the water changes... and it won't hurt your betta. Took me about 3 months to complete the cycling, and my fish has been fine.

Gloria, its just an option... I decided to cycle my tank because I can't keep up with the water changes... its not bad if you don't cycle, just that cycled tanks taken a lot of work off your hands in the long run.
cherrybello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #10 
Gloria

oh ok... Thank you cherybello.. I am able to do lots of water changes as I do not have a full time job yet.. I try and do my 10L and 20L about 50% everyday and 1 day a 100% my 2L 4L and 8L get 100 daily... Im worried I over do it :$
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote