Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #1 
betalova

Our new betta! What kind & male or female?

I am so happy to introduce our FIRST family pet-my daughter who is 2 1/2 named him/her QRX (can you tell she is learning her alphabet LOL) Here are some pictures of him/her. We got him/her at our local pet store where they were in tiny bowls :( Broke my heart!
Can anyone tell me what kind it is as well as if it's a male or female!? Thanks!!

DSC_4705 by Photomama22, on Flickr

DSC_4699 by Photomama22, on Flickr

DSC_4697 by Photomama22, on Flickr

And this is his new home (We originally had him in a betta kit but thanks to this website I realized they need a filter & heater & more room then just a tiny container so this is him home..for now..until we get an even larger tank with more plants, etc! :)

DSC_4700 by Photomama22, on Flickr

Last edited by betalova; 10-16-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: adding
betalova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #2 
fleetfish

You have an orange dalmatian Veiltail male.
He's a gorgeous boy for sure! I love dalmatian bettas. They're called dalmatians because of their red spotted pattern and the peach body. Best of luck with your new handsome man!
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #3 
betalova

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfish View Post
You have an orange dalmatian Veiltail male.
He's a gorgeous boy for sure! I love dalmatian bettas. They're called dalmatians because of their red spotted pattern and the peach body. Best of luck with your new handsome man!
Thank you!!! :)
Old 10-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #4 
TielBird101

Exactly what Fleetfosh said! ^.^ I love Dalmations too! :D They're my absolute FAV!!!! Congrats on the new fish! ^.^ LOVE the way your tank looks. :)
TielBird101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #5 
betalova

Anyone have any recomendations or advice with the heater in there? It hasn't turned on yet :S kinda worried it might not work!?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

It looks like a Tetra preset heater, so your tank might already be at 78, which is good.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #7 
betalova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
It looks like a Tetra preset heater, so your tank might already be at 78, which is good.
Yes it is. When we put new water in we used luke warm rather then hot oor cold so maybe that's why. Ill keep an eye on it and see if it goes on at all today/tonight. I have no idea where the indicator light will be lol oh I'm such a fish newb!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

It should be in the middle of the glass part in the front. At least that's where the indicator light is on mine, but I also have the larger version for up to 10 gallons.

You could try unplugging and plugging back in while you inspect it to find out where it is. Usually the light will come on when you first plug it back in to let you know it's still working.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #9 
betalova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
It should be in the middle of the glass part in the front. At least that's where the indicator light is on mine, but I also have the larger version for up to 10 gallons.

You could try unplugging and plugging back in while you inspect it to find out where it is. Usually the light will come on when you first plug it back in to let you know it's still working.
Might have to bring it back to walmart-ive tried unplugging and replugging and no indicator light comes on. Hmmmm
Old 10-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

Maybe try some purposefully cold water? I did that with a little Marina brand filter that I bought (It doesn't really work like it should since it lets the temp drop below 76) to see if it did work at all.

A thermometer would help in this situations o you know exactly where your water stands temperature-wise.