Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #31 
RobotFrog

Sorry for the double post, I re-read my first one and realized saying they CAN be is what made it seem that way sometimes I type faster than I can think.
I meant it in the sense of, say... you CAN keep a betta in a half gallon. But it won't be happy. Difference between thriving and surviving.
RobotFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #32 
Pitluvs

Oh don't take me the wrong way, nothing against you at all! Just in case someone else is reading ya know? Wish you were closer, I'd help you with him. He's getting up there in age though :( I have two groups with my 5. I have an old Siamese male that spent his first year with an African Soft Fur Rat, that now lives with my youngest two. I had to intro him to babies, since he never saw a big rat before. I did have one of my first two rats in this group, they always lived together and when Deans brother died, I had to do intros so he wouldn't be alone. He was a savage. He sadly passed in August. My other group is two brothers who hate each other LOL I hope to start intros so I can take the divider off my cage and have them all together.

Sorry to derail this, but this is the one thing my LPS ticks me off with. Selling hairless rats that are not hairless (double Rex) and the whole single is fine thing. I had to get them to give me a feeder rat once so I could take a pet rat home in a pair. They were so mad with me. They also told me my Ferret Nation cage would he too much room and stress them out. Never mind rats need at least 2.5 cubic feet each. Thankfully they listened to me and switch to lab blocks and not seed mixes.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #33 
RobotFrog

My goodness o.o I notice that most pet stores seem to wanna cram a critter into the smallest space possible, it's so irritating! More space = more room for playing, decor, toys, hidey holes, etc.
RobotFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #34 
Pitluvs

Yes but its easier to get a parent to buy one rat and a hamster cage kit for $50 than it is to get a parent to buy 2 rats and a single level Critter Nation for $300 :( Impulse buyers don't care, they just see low money spent and a happy kid. So sad :( Just like Bettas, and any other pet really. They rather a quick sale 10 times a day rather than a big sale 2 times a week.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #35 
Bombalurina

I told my local petshop 3 times that it was bad to keep rats on pine shavings. They used to use Carefresh, but for some reason switched. I pointed it out again and again and nothing was done. :( Also, yeah, seed mixes. Grr.

So great to find other rat lovers! :D
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #36 
Pitluvs

Aspen should be just as cheap as pine, wonder why they don't use that? I'd be going in with sheets explaining what soft wood does to rats. Wonder if they could be liable for vet visits and resperatory problems with new pet muhaha

My LPS also sells Marina 2.65g tanks for goldfish. The box clearly states to upgrade with goldfish, but they don't tell people that. Plecos are also fine for small tanks. Like 5g tanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #37 
HatsuneMiku

story 1 .. when going to buy a heater:
LFS owner: hi, can i help you?
me: yea .. i need a 50w adjustable heater for my 10g filtered betta tank
LFS owner: "you don't need a heater .. your internal filter's motor will generate enough heat to keep the water temp constant at 80"

don't know if that one's true or not .. but not gonna try that .. and it sounds pretty crazy

story 2 .. while looking at gravel at petco
another customer: oh look at that sign (points) .. it says goldfish are perfect betta pets .. i didn't know that!!
sales man: yea they are great together
another customer: oh maybe we should get a few and put it in betta's tank

story 3 .. at petsmart comparison shopping for heater
sales lady: hi you need help?
me: yea .. i need a 50w adjustable heater for my 10g filtered betta tank
(she starts to walk me to the heater aisle)
sales lady: wow that's a huge tank for a betta .. what other fish you have in there?
me: none .. it's just him
sales lady: you should add some females .. they get along great together and then you can breed them
me: uh .. nah
(we reach the heater section)
sales lady: here's all our heaters .. but you know bettas don't really need heaters .. look at us we just keep them out on the shelf with no heater .. and they are fine
me (thinking to myself): that's cus theres no way you could heat cups on a shelf and you probably have some sales manual where your trained to regurgitate mis-information to me so your store doesn't look bad

unfortunately i couldn't say anything .. this petsmart is pretty good at takeing care of their bettas with daily w/c and no overfeeding (nothing yucky in their cups) so if i had said something she probably would look at me like i was nuts (the same way i was looking at her while she's telling me not to buy a heater)
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:31 AM   #38 
Tikibirds

Let's see what else i have been told...

I brough in an ammonia test from a fish that died in less then 24 hours. The test was on THEIR cup water. The freakin employee tells me that MY water has too much ammonia and hands me a bottle of ammonia block.

and they ALWAYS try to see me those algae eaters. Not sure what, exactly, they are..the ones you always see that are small and sucking on the tank wall. Nooooo, they won't outgrow a 2 gallon tank...uh huh
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #39 
caitic10

"You can put two goldfish in that 2.5 gallon."
"Oh, you betta wont eat the bloodworms."
"If you get the five gallon you HAVE to put two females and a male. They dont like to be alone."

Really????Grrr....
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #40 
BettaGirl290

i wish i could have rats/hamsters/anything else than a fish, dog, or cat. im still hoping that day will come, hopefully.........
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote