Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #1 
carzz

Stupid Land-Lady :(

Okay, so for the longest time, I've really wanted to do something quite special for my babies. I've been going through $$ numbers, and have come up with a saving plan to buy each one of my a fish, one of those, 2.5 desk top aquariums, with the colored top, and the filter. And then, to make it really cool, i've been thinking of getting some snails, or mollies to go with each one, so that it would have two things per tank betta/molly or betta/snail.
But today i got thinking, why not get a ten gallon, and divid it into 3! I've seen some really great tanks on here, with the divided 10 gallon, and I thought it'd be really cool. It'd cost a lot less, since the other 2.5 cost $20 each, and here, just a basic 10 gallon cost $10. And on top of that, the make your own dividers are cheap too! It was the best idea EVER!!! :D Right???
I really wanted to save my money, and buy two 10 gallons, since I have 7 fish, and my 3 girls in one, 3 males in the other, and the last male would go in my 3 gallon that i already have.
Being that I live with my parents, I had to get their permission on the idea. And I know that they would have said yes but.... Our stupid land-lady, the woman we rent my house from has a strict TWO PET POLICY. We have a dog, and a cat, and seven betta fish.
And we used to think she was really nice, and really great. but after some recent turmoil, we now know her to be the b**** that she really and truly is.
My parents told me that if she ever stopped into town, unannouced (like she did before) and saw dog, cat, fish tank, fish tank, and fish tank, that she'd flip and tell us that only two animals were allowed, and some would have to go. And we all know which seven would go.... :(
So I sighed and said fine, I'd go back to plan A, the 2.5 per fish.
They said no. She would still get mad. D:<
So now!!!!!! I am stuck with the glass bowls! :(
1st: I'm tired of the glass bowls, and they don't work well anymore. The glass gets water spots that are near to impossible to remove!!! They BREAK! And I've wanted to upsize for a LONG TIME!
2nd: I want better for my fish!
3rd: My fish deserve betta (haha <- see what I did there?)
4th: I hate Hate HATE this stupid, no good for, rotten land-landy.
And last but not least 5th: WHAT'S SOOOO WRONG HAVING MORE THEN TWO ANIMALS IF THEY ARE TAKEN CARE OF AND DO NOT MAKE A MESS?

D: I hate this!!! What should I do??
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #2 
Laki

Hm.. I see your point. As a landlady with a 2 pet policy however, I can see her point to. It's her property and she's paying the taxes on the property. I mean, I never count small fish tanks as "pets" in getting a place bc really, I see the space it takes up is no different than a plant and causes no damage... Unless you drop it.. But you can always drop a pot of pasta water and the time it would take to remove sticky starch water could be considered longer than the entire tank cleaning process. (Yes, I've been there)
But as long as your living in someone else's house, you must respect their rules. Erm... Except the part where she came unannounced. That's actually illegal. So since you, as tenants, need 24 hrs notice of her coming.... Couldn't you hide the "excess" pets?? We did that before. This is the only place I lived that knew I kept rabbits.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #3 
Miyazawa

i mean people have their reasons to impose certain rules, they are nice if they let you break the rules but it is not their fault if they make you follow it especially you've been told certain rules. Kudos to you when you break a rule and it goes unnoticed but you cant really blame anyone when you get busted.........i mean maybe she's a bad person but i dont think shes a rotten person because she makes you follow a rule that you are supposed to.
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Usually the pet policy excludes fish... Have you actually asked if bettas are included in the policy? The policy usually has to do with the possibility of the animals destroying the apartment.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #5 
ShyDog

I'm sure there's a reason to include fish in the list, I live in a dorm and we're allowed a maximum of one 5 gallon tank. (something to do with eco footprint maybe). I know landlords can be kind of rough in spots, but bare in mind if you move out of the house, their still stuck with whatever damages are left : ) . Here's to hoping it'll work out.
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #6 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDog View Post
I'm sure there's a reason to include fish in the list, I live in a dorm and we're allowed a maximum of one 5 gallon tank. (something to do with eco footprint maybe). I know landlords can be kind of rough in spots, but bare in mind if you move out of the house, their still stuck with whatever damages are left : ) . Here's to hoping it'll work out.
omg my college only allows maximum of one 5 gallon tank too :S
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

Our college has a limit of one 10 gallon tank, but a dorm is often different than an apartment. My friend lives in an apartment with a 1 pet only policy(and it can only be a cat, not a dog) but fish are excluded but have their own rule--You may have as many tanks and fish as you want, but the amount of water cannot exceed 20 gallons. So two tens, one twenty, several 5s..etc. But the water limit is to reduce the risk of water damage if a tank is smashed.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #8 
ShyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
amount of water cannot exceed 20 gallons. So two tens, one twenty, several 5s..etc. But the water limit is to reduce the risk of water damage if a tank is smashed.
That's kind of how it is here as well, I'm getting away with 2 two gallons and a 1 gallon tank and the good graces of my CA
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #9 
erinandares

I live in a no-pets allowed apartment, but we got permission before I even started looking at buying my fish and their tanks and all. They haven't imposed a limit on the amount of water or the size of the tank. I think it's more of a common sense thing, and I'm just getting my one twenty gallon and calling it good. Lol.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #10 
Luimeril

our landlord don't care. maybe we got a good one, but he knows of my bettas, even when i had 9 of them.

but, you should ask, if fish count in the '2 pet limit' thing...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote