Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #21 
elijahfeathers

Most places have limits on pets because of destructive habits they can have (ie people have dogs who CHEW THROUGH DRYWALL and cays who spray in houses). This can significantly lower the value of your property.

Fish I do not think count as pets. Plan how much water you want to have. Most landlords care about haw many gallons-- eg many apartments have a a 5-10 gallon limit. this is to reduce the possibility of water damage. It may not seem bad to spill that... if say your tank broke.... 10 gallons is a LOT to get it. It can get into the floor and carpet. Cause molding, weakening of the structure... eventually leading to expensive repairs being needed.

So ask them to ask your landlord about any limits on tank size. Most people will count fish a decorations more than pets. It sounds like your parents are trying to wiggle you out of bettas more than anything else.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #22 
Tikibirds

I busted every rule this place has. As soon as I signed the lease, the owner walked in and screamed at the office manager "CATS under 20 pounds, NOT dogs!!" Too late. Already signed the lease. They sold the place so I snuck in a chinchilla. Place got sold yet again and added 7 tanks. Got away with it too till they decided to put in a new window, and unlike most places, the person doing the handywork IS the new owner. She gave me a look that like "...1 dog, 1 chinchilla and 22 fish in less then 300 square feet??"

I have no idea what the pet poilcy here is anymore. My original lease in 2009 and THREE owners ago.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #23 
SnowySurface

My place is a no pet at all policy but my Landlord doesn't care about anything in a cage or cats. Dogs are definitely out because they have to poop somewhere and bark. But a lot of tenent can have a cat that isn't too violent (since he does have to come in to do work) or anything in a cage or tank. I guess I won the jackpot in terms of landlords.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #24 
Silverfang

The whole tenants policy has never been an issue (renting from a relative who would rescue animals all the time). Ownership passed to mother when my other relative passed, and when we move out (huge house, need something smaller), tenants rules for pets will be my big concern.

It's totally understandable to limit the size of aquariums when you consider the water damage and property values.... as much as pet owners we may not like it.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #25 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Since no one's mentioned this...you should not be putting a single molly with a betta, it seems like a non issue now, but just in case you are thinking about in the future, don't!
Hey! I did mention it on top of the page where you said that =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
One place I lived in had a no pet policy, which included every type of animal. I didn't live there long..

I just want to mention something in case you do go ahead and upgrade. Don't put a betta AND a molly in a 2.5 tank.. that is no where near enough for both.. mollies can get 4-6 inches, and you really shouldn't put 2 fish in anything under 5 gals (even then it's pushing it).. So.. if you're able to upgrade (which I hope you are for the sake of the fishies hehe), then really consider not putting in another fish that can get 6 inches in something so small =( And that includes a divided 10 gal since it will be the same amount. Major over crowding and bio load.

Other then that.. good luck! But since you make it sound that she put her foot down.. then be careful, because I really don't think you want to go homeless. Much as we all love our pets, the way the economy is now, you really don't want to lose your home.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #26 
Moon

I am a landlady myself and my rules are no dogs ( renters dog had pups cost me lots of $$$ and I'm talking grands here) no cats ( because I am allergic and the letterbox idea) but fish and gerbils (yes), mice ( no) rats (no) bunnies sure birds sure and my renters take advantage of my animal rules they have 3 fish tanks
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #27 
Pitluvs

No rats? May I ask why? Rats are actually cleaner animals than those gerbils, birds and rabbits you allow. By far. They are also more loyal and less destructive. I would allow a tenant to have a pet rat before anything else hands down.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #28 
purplemuffin

Seems most people are afraid of rats, sadly from a lack of education! I've seen people think I'd get the plague when I had them!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #29 
Laki

Rats as pets are banned in Alberta for some gummed up reason. Makes no sense to me. I know rats are FAR better than any small rodent :/ However, why allow rabbits over rats?? Rats- if released will likely die. Rabbits, too. But rabbits chew walls. I rescued my cousins rabbit after she chewed ALL the moldings off in the room she had free run of.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #30 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Rats as pets are banned in Alberta for some gummed up reason. Makes no sense to me. I know rats are FAR better than any small rodent :/ However, why allow rabbits over rats?? Rats- if released will likely die. Rabbits, too. But rabbits chew walls. I rescued my cousins rabbit after she chewed ALL the moldings off in the room she had free run of.
yikes, that rabbit did a number on the place. lol, i was just thinking how easy it might be to take care of rabbits as pets but didnt know they could be that destructive. atm its just my 3 betta as pets, my place isnt too big so space for a cage isnt much. dogs are out of question, hardwood floors and cats arent either my parents have allergies to cats. it was rabbits or some caged reptile. my father hates both especially reptiles. id like to get them but finding a good deal and space needs some assessment.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote