Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #1 
ConorM

Custom tank in FL

I have an idea for a betta tank, but it needs to me a certain, unique shape. It will be very small (4.5 gallons) so I want someone who wouldn't turn me down over the size. I live in Deerfield Beach, Florida, so somewhere around here or in boca or something would be nice. It will be 12 length, 12 width, 8 height. I determined the gallons by dividing the volume based on the above measurements by 231 (cubic inches in 1 gallon) and got almost 5, but with substrate, decor and stuff 4.5. It will have a hood so I can put in a fluorescent light, as it will be planted. Its equally sized length and width will make it perfect for all-around viewing. Filtration will be a sponge filter to minimize current. One square foot of water surface area will allow sufficient oxygenation. Instead of a background being paper, it will be a bubble curtain, which allows for further oxygenation. one 10 gallon air pump will power both the bubble curtain and sponge filter. I need someone who will make the base tank and hood for me around Deerfield Beach, Florida. BTW if this works, I want to patent the and found an aquatics company or sell this to a company to make some dough. If you saw this, as a kit in a pet store, would you buy it? I made these images by rendering a 3D model that I made of the tank. Image shows the tank, all equipment(sponge filter, heater, bubble curtain)and tank and hood. Should I design a stand? Sorry the bubble curtain looks messed up.
Attached Images

ConorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #2 
Dragonii

Looks nice, but I would reconsider the lighting.Look into LED. You can get bright light in a full spectrum, no heat, very low power consumption and they are small.

Good luck.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #3 
ConorM

LED lights work for a planted tank? These tanks are made to be planted. Do the dimensions sound good?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #4 
bettafish15

That looks really cool! I'd buy it for sure if it wasnt too pricy.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #5 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I thought LED only really works for corals or something like that... (I'm not too straight on my saltwater smarts.) I've also never had luck raising my plants with LED lights, so yeah, I do have some tanks that have no plants in them. Fluorescent may not compliment a betta's colors as well as an LED could, but it's better for plants.

Edit: I like the dimensions as I really prefer tanks that are short and fat, so to speak... more area for the bettas to move about and explore, less of a struggle for bettas (especially as males get older) to get air from the surface.
I'd like to buy one of these... it's a plus that there's a sponge filter. About how much do you think it'd cost?
If you decide to create a stand for it, you might want to make that an optional thing. There's a really nice tank at work that looks a lot like this, but the filter is different and it has LED lights... it also has the stand attached to it. Having an optional stand makes it more desirable to buy, in that a person could put it on a counter or table if they wanted to, or if they wanted the stand to set it up in their living room, they'd have that option as well.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 10-17-2011 at 05:32 PM.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #6 
ConorM

This tank really won't be cheap. a sponge filter, double-outlet air pump(for bubble curtain and sponge filter) a heater, and a hood would amount to about 40 bucks. I kind of averaged prices from pet stores near me and Wal-Mart. Not including the tank, substrate, and the guide to betta care That I wrote myself. The total price will be about $50.00. This is how much an eclipse 5 gallon goes for, and those are pretty nice.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #7 
SnowySurface

I think I would buy it is I saw it in a store. The tanks I have now are about $40, so $50 isn't out of my price range. I also like the set up since a sponge filter wouldn't need to be baffled like my current filter. I don't know if a betta needs the water to be oxygenated that much, but the bubble curtain would look pretty. I like the design.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #8 
quyllur

I don't think I'd bother designing a stand. One of the great things about smaller tanks is that you can put them almost anywhere, and you don't need a specifically designed stand to hold them up. You could go out and get a small end table or shelf unit for cheap (I have one from walmart that i think was $15 with pretty much those exact dimensions). Because of that I think the stand would not be as big of a seller. I would also maybe reconsider the bubble wall, it's pretty of course but I think most people who WANT a bubble wall, will go out and BUY a bubble wall.

Also, there are LED light fixtures specifically for planted aquariums, more expensive but you get more intense light with a smaller energy output. (I think)

Just wanted to add that I think it's a very neat design and I would love to see more options out there for tanks with a larger footprint without necessarily adding a lot of height.

Last edited by quyllur; 10-18-2011 at 08:38 AM.
quyllur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #9 
Laki

Could it be that cheap and still be made of glass Or would it be acrylic?? I like it but I think too many bubbles in the back. I only use one small aeration stone and I need to conceal most of that with plants as it is! My fish doesn't like too many fast moving bubbles apparantly.
But yes, very nice design for a tank. It could be an effective desk top aquarium which is what I like about the KK I have now.
You're off to a good start :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #10 
tsukiowns

yeah it a really nice tank the square shape is not very common in 5 g tanks so it looks very appealing... I live in Boca and for 50 dollars i would buy the tank but im in college here and i have the max of 10g already... oh one of the thing that i ould take out would be the bubble curtain i thing it would get lost within the plants (if the tank is mid-heavy planted) IMO... and 50 bucks for sponge filter, and heater, and bubble curtain and guide is not bad at all.... Good luck with your new inovation...
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote