Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #1 
HelloThere123Betta

How To Take Beautiful Betta Photos?

Hi There, so it seems like EVERYONE on here can get a better picture of their betta than me. I have a legit camera, it cost me about $70. But I can never seem to get a good picture. Bruce is always posing for me but they always turn out fuzzy or blurry. So, my question is What are some tips on taking better pictures? Do you put it on flash? (Whenever I use flash Bruce always ends up looking green when really he's like a bluey- purple). What about Background lights or tank lights? Zoom? Anything really to help! Thank you and sorry for the kinda long rant.
HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #2 
Nubster

Tank photography is just difficult no matter what. Some tips...turn off the room lights, use a flash above the tank, dark/black background, turn off the filter, clean the glass, tripod, high shutter speed, LUCK...lol

I pretty much use a spray and pray method...just take lots of shots and hope one or two turn out. With a point and shoot it is even more difficult. It takes practice. Photography in general is not that difficult but takes some understanding and again...practice.

Last edited by Nubster; 10-16-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #3 
purplemuffin

Having a macro setting helps! If you can distract your fish in some way so they hold still it's easier to get a picture, lol!

Or a really really expensive camera. Only because they have more settings you can control! >_> I use my mom's old extra camera she doesn't use anymore, she's a professional photographer. It's a canon rebel!

Also, natural light is amazing!! Sunlight will get you the best pictures!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #4 
bkelizabeth

It takes me FOREVER to get a picture in FOCUS. Even with an amazing camera.............. so, the answer is patience, no shaky hands, good lighting, etc. Some fish just KNOW when you're taking pictures, and they'll do everything to make the task almost impossible. I try to take pictures when my fish is just waking up... so she's a little sluggish and will sit still. They're just like toddlers.... ugh. :)
bkelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #5 
bkelizabeth

OH! The others are right, you need macro for detailed pictures....... flash gets a good focused picture and nice colors.. but you can't really get close. Sometimes I feel like some fish HATE flash. So, I usually avoid it.
bkelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #6 
Larsa

I treat photography as an art ;) I takes lots of patient and lots of skill to take a good picture. My fish move around all. the. time. and it takes my 30 mins to FINALLY get one good picture! I have found it best to take pics of fish when the are asleep. So they dont move!!!! I use a Canon AS1000 IS camera which was $90 at Walmart. What I do is I

1. turn camera on-making sure my battery life is full
2. set mode to portrait ( the face icon )
3. change settings from normal to macro ( the tulip ) for great depth of the fish's scales
4.set flash to automatic
5. focus by holding down the shutter button half way
6. take the picture!
7. retry if failed desired results

here are some pics I took with this method:
( not trying to be a show off or anything, but here are some samples of my fish) *** Ryu, 2nd to last had pop-eye in this picture and Izume, the white one, has septicemia right now and is recovering! Too bad you dont live near me or I would take pictures of your fish for you!!!! ^-^
Attached Images

Last edited by Larsa; 10-17-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #7 
Nubster

I agree that photography is an art. There are some people that are very technical and can take a great textbook picture but it lacks feeling...it just feels clinical. Some people really know how to setup a great shot but they might not have the technical skills or equipment. Then there are the lucky ones that can do both. Some think photography is just pushing the shutter button but IMHO it takes skill and talent to be a truly great photographer. I lack both...lol...but I still love playing around with my camera.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #8 
HelloThere123Betta

Thanks for all the tips! I have a Kodak EasyShare M530, so I dont know if it has all of those settings but I'll check :)
HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Another word for macro is "flower" and that's what I use. I press the button down half-way to focus, and then when my betta stops and drifts from swimming so much at seeing me, thats when I take the shot.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #10 
Nubster

Just remember...one of the great things about digital photography...you can take hundreds of pictures for only the cost of batteries. Just keep shooting and shooting and sooner or later you'll get the hang of it. It really does take practice. It never hurts to post up pics for people to critique either. Here or join a photography site. But becareful, photography can be addictive and VERY expensive. Never a good combo...lol

Tags
beautiful betta, betta pictures, picture taking