Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #1 
BellaBetta88

First time betta owner (yes another one!)

Hello! So as a passionate lover of furry creatures I never really thought I'd like a fish. I had 2 goldfish when I was 5 that didn't last very long and based on that memory I've always thought...man....fish are lame. Pretty, sometimes, but not worth all the upkeep just to see them swim around. Anyway! My friend got a betta and I just thought he was the coolest thing! I'd seen bettas before but only when people kept them in really small cups or vases. At the time I wasn't sure if that was wrong or not. Last week I went with my friend to look for more fish and ended up bringing my own betta home. It was a tough choice! I got him one of those half gallon containers. After two days in it I decided he deserved something better and upgraded him to a 2.5 gallon which I've decked out with live plants. He is already a great fish and I've only had him a week. He's let me pet him, and he takes food from my finger. On a more serious note, I've freaked myself out. About an hour and a half ago I put flea medicine on my cat. I got some on my fingers and proceeded to scrub it off with soap and water, rinsing carefully. Soon after, I noticed a plant needed adjustment in my betta's tank. I reached in, and then realized....oh no, what if i've poisoned my wonderful fish? He seems ok so far, but I'm kicking myself.....I'm scared!! What do you people think? Do you think he'll be ok? :( Anyway, so far I've been calling him Rocky but I also like Rainbow. Suggestions?
Attached Images

BellaBetta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #2 
BellaBetta88

PS I am not sure how to tell when they're stressed or not. I already know about when they flare and everything which he does sometimes to his reflection, but I assumed that some of that is ok. Does he look healthy/happy to you guys? I want to give him the best home I can.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #3 
BellasMomma

im sure he will be fine, since u washed yer hands after. i do try to rinse my hands really well after i use soap when i know im putting my hands in the tank just because soap can be dangerous itself. but as for the flea stuff it should have been completely gone. i like rainbow, but if he was mine id name him shaggy! hes super cute though! lucky him got an upgrade in just a week!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 
BellasMomma

about being stressed they get a stress stripe horizontally down them its usually silverish in color. he doesnt seem to have it. he looks like hes healthy, he looks to me as if he may have had it rough for awhile but seems great now.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #5 
BellaBetta88

Thanks! Why do you think he may have had it rough? I mean he was in a petsmart cup so he hasn't had the greatest life. Do his fins look like they've been damaged or something?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #6 
BellasMomma

well im not really a expert in bettas so i dont know if there is a certain type that have those scruffy tails. thats wat i was going off of. and pretty much all bettas that live in stores have it rough
Old 10-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #7 
BellaBetta88

haha, he is a crowntail betta, but maybe he has an extra scruffy tail for a crowntail. How many bettas do you have?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #8 
BellasMomma

i just have one. just got her a month ago. this website has been GREAT! she went from this tiny maybe half gallon bowl to a 10 gallon, filtered and heated tank. she has this website to thank for that! i dont even know wat kinda betta she is, a regular one... if thats even a thing? i guess i should find out.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #9 
BellaBetta88

haha, when I move into a place where I have room I will either get a bigger tank or another 2.5 and another betta!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #10 
BellaBetta88

Good luck with your girl I just saw her!