Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #1 
gigist

Nitrite Poisoning

Greetings,

First of all, thanks in advance for any and all advice.

I had to do a full water change + tank cleaning because of a snail issue. I threw away all the plants and bought new ones (cleaned and quarantined)... however my tank is having a Nitrite spike.

The male is showing signs of nitrite poisoning (dark brown gills/heavy breathing/stays at the top/and inflamed gills (on one side currently). This is what I have done:

1.) Lowered water level so the filter splashes (creating air bubbles)
2.) Added one tsp of H2O2 and wondering if I should add more (as a current fix since everything now is closed). It's a 10 gal tank with one male betta.

Tomorrow when the pet store opens I'll be picking up some aquarium salt. What else can I do now to quickly redeemed this situation?

I read that H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) will convert those bad nitrites to nitrates, but how much do I add (again a 10gal tank)? I have pently of new plants in there to help with the nitrates.

Thanks in advance!
gigist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #2 
teasell

Take him out of the tank and into fresh conditioned water. Or do a complete water change so the poor fellow does not have tosustain more problems. I doubt aquarium salt will help unless he has fresh conditioned water either in the tank he is in ar a smaller quarantine tank till you can get your 10 gallon under good control
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #3 
gigist

Thanks for the reply!

Doing another water change is just going to cause more problems? My filter runs Ammo-Carb, so I'll just run into the same problem. Killing off ammonia is just going to cause the Nitrite spike again. Right?

Remember the tank isn't cycled at all, no bio in the tank, since I did a FULL cleaning to the tank 2 days ago (5% bleach to kill the snails)... everything is new (including the filter).
Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #4 
flowerslegacy

Gigist - Do you use Prime? It's a water conditioner by Seachem. It detoxifies nitrites. You can dose the tank directly if you have it. Standard water conditioners do not detox ammonia and nitrites. If he's still sitting in nitrites then he could be in bad shape. Brown gills are caused by oxygen deprivation in the blood. Just like Teasell stated, I'd get him out of there and put him in a smaller 1 or 2 gal bowl w/freshly dechlorinated water. Do daily 100% water changes until you can get your 10 gal situated.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #5 
flowerslegacy

If you're doing a fish-in cycle, you have to do daily 50% water changes. The water changes will only slow down your cycle, not ruin it. I have multiple 10-gals and have cycled with fish in quite a bit. Most important is you need to be using a dechlorinator like Prime since it detox's ammonia and nitrites. This will allow your fish to survive those chemical elements as your cycle completes. Ammonia eating bacteria is what causes the nitrites. Completely removing the ammonia crashes the cycle. Too much info to put here, but we're happy to help you along the way. In your specific case, since your little guy is already sick, you need to remove him or you may lose him.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #6 
teasell

Thanks flowerslegacy you said it better then I did.

Gigist if your tank is not cycled you need to do more water changes before he has permanent damage. If you don't have Prime on hand please put him in a smaller container with whatever conditioner you might have and do the daily 100% water changes till you can get your tank in working order
Old 10-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #7 
gigist

Yeah yeah, :(... I don't, I have water basic dechlorinator... which is the problem :(. Tomorrow I'll pick up: http://www.petsupermarket.com/Produc...159006004.aspx plus the salt.

What should I do tonight? Since I don't have conditioner, if I move him to a new tank, It'll prolly just kill him faster, right? So tomorrow, buy stuff, treat temp tank with conditioner, move him. Drain water and retreat with new conditioner, test water. If everything is fine, put him back in.

So I'm pretty much helpless right now until tomorrow?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #8 
gigist

I do have some conditioner (which came in a sample kit with the fish tank), should I just use that? I don't know if it has all that detoxify stuff, but I do remember it said, "water conditioner."

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #9 
teasell

Now I am not certain about this but do you have water that has been sitting for more then a day. You might be able to temporarily put him into this water till tomorrow water that has stood for over 12 hours should have most of the chlorine out. How have you been dechlorinating your water up till now????
Old 10-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #10 
flowerslegacy

Right now just move him. The water conditioner will work fine. Just get him out of that tank. Don't wait until tomorrow.