Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #11 
teasell

That water conditioner should work just fine. Put into tap water let stand for a few minutes then pour into temporary tank. Hope your guy will be all right. Go and get some prime tomorrow I use it and so far I will say it's a great product
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #12 
gigist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasell View Post
Now I am not certain about this but do you have water that has been sitting for more then a day. You might be able to temporarily put him into this water till tomorrow water that has stood for over 12 hours should have most of the chlorine out. How have you been dechlorinating your water up till now????
I have water basic dechlorinator from Top Fin. Removes Chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. But not Nitrite.
gigist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #13 
gigist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasell View Post
That water conditioner should work just fine. Put into tap water let stand for a few minutes then pour into temporary tank. Hope your guy will be all right. Go and get some prime tomorrow I use it and so far I will say it's a great product
Okay, I'm hoping the water conditioner is good and I don't know how much to put. My dechlorinator takes like 2 drops per gal, but I know this conditioner takes a lot more.

I'll be picking up Prime tomorrow (right when they open).
Old 10-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #14 
flowerslegacy

Although Prime is an excellent water conditioner, many standard conditioners work great. The good thing about Prime is that it detox's ammonia and nitrites which is necessary when doing a fish-in cycle. If your betta was living in a tank under 5 gals, you could simply use a standard water conditioner and do water changes 2x week. So, if you remove your guy to a smaller container tonight, just use your standard water conditioner and he'll be fine. If he's in anything under 2 gals, you'll want to do daily, 100% water changes to keep him healthy. With that said, I'm concerned that you're seeing nitrite poisoning after only 2 days. This tells me that perhaps your guy is experiencing something different. Ammonia eating bacteria takes a while to grow, which in turn converts to nitrites. This is impossible after only 2 days. You mentioned using bleach. Were you sure it was rinsed completely?? When I set up a new 10-gal and add one betta, I don't have to touch my tank for at least 3 days before ammonia starts to rise over .25ppm. You may need to check your 10-gal for bleach poisoning. If you smell ammonia in ANY WAY, you have to break it down again. Most important is to just get your guy out of that 10-gal and sitting in clean, dechlorinated water.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #15 
teasell

Usually those conditioner samples carry enough conditioner for a few changes but don't worry to much about over use as it's pretty difficult to over condition. Instuctions should be on the packet along with an expiration date
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #16 
gigist

Thanks for all this help, I have the fresh water sitting there, will move him in in 15 minutes. Same temp as the main tank, problem is this tank doesn't have a heater. So I'll be staying up all night to monitor his health. :)
Old 10-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #17 
flowerslegacy

Yep, we've all been there before - staying up to watch over our sick bettas. Any way you can float his little tank in the big heated tank? If your QT tank is glass, you can move your heater over. Just turn it way down. I have lots of 2.5 gals and I use 50W heaters turned down to 76. Some folks put their QT's on top of their fridge where the heat from the appliance keep it warm. I've never tried that, but I've heard it works.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #18 
gigist

Seems like he's breathing really hard right now (more so than before). Hopefully it was from chasing him around with the net (he's stubborn). Either way, he's in the temp tank, if the temp drops below 78, I'll bring the heater over.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #19 
flowerslegacy

You should post a new thread in the Disease Section for possible Nitrite Poisoning. We have some great folks who can direct you with his brown gills, heavy breathing, etc. I know that warm water is important when you're treating for health issues. Anything under 76 can effect his immune system and he'll need all the energy he can get in his current condition. I'm not a health expert or I'd advise you!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #20 
gigist

Thanks! I have since opened a new thread and posted a video of his breathing: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=864435