Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #1 
fishman12

Help with project?

I'm going to do a persuasive essay on the "care" of bettas in Petco. I'm doing research myself, but could I have some help, like first-hand accounts or whatever? Thanks!! (sorry if this is against forum rules)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

Well, the best thing you can do is show proof. Is your essay allowed to have images for reference? There are plenty of photos showing what a sick betta looks like directly from petco and how much it improved in a week or less with proper care. Showing a happy fish in a big tank is impressive, and clearly different than a sad fish in a bowl with clamped fins and a sad little face!

You can also describe the stress of the shipment of hundreds of bettas to each store location and how many trips it takes for a betta to make it from a breeder to a store to a home!

I never bought a petco/petsmart betta, so I can't give an account of what it's like to buy one.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #3 
fishman12

I don't think pics can be used. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Alright, that just means you'll have to be more descriptive. I know some of the more 'research paper' type papers are allowed to use images. Hmmmm.

Maybe get interviews with people--Ask a few petstore employees questions about bettas--how long they have them, how long they live in the store, how often they change the water and what they think of the health of the current in store bettas. Stuff like that. Then talk to betta owners, people who have bought from aquabid and petco, etc. etc. :) should give you a lot!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #5 
BettaMiah

Good ideas, Muffin! (Can I call you Muff? :))

I'll let you interviw me if you like. I have tons of experience with that place. I'm sure I can tell you all you need to know.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

Another idea is to get a book or website(depending on what sources you are allowed to use) that is an authority on betta care. For persuasion you can use emotion to draw the reader, but it helps to back up your claims with evidence. So prove they ARE sick, and then make them feel bad about it, LOL!

And you can call me anything you like as long as I know you're talking to me. I've been called purple, muffin, muff, etc. whatever. Or you can call me Kat!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #7 
betaguy

i wanted to buy the 2.5 gallon i have now until my dad asked the lady and she said they prefer small enclosed spaces, which i now know is BS.
this is the only experience i have with bad betta care and lack of knowledge.

the last petsmart i was at was fantastic. all males had bubblenests and nice clean cups. The employee uses her own 5 gal tank to emphasise propper betta care.
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #8 
purplemuffin

You know what's funny? Last time I was at this site it was petco that people were singing the praises of and petsmart was the evil one who took bad care of their fish! (with of course exceptions to both) Funny the way things have flip flopped!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #9 
fishman12

Yeah... Petsmart is borderline. Some good, some bad.
Thanks again!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #10 
Sakura8

fishman, you can interview me if you need to. I have two books on bettas, also. Aquarium Care of Bettas by David Boruchowitz (my betta bible) and The Betta Handbook by Robert J Goldstein.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote