Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #1 
bllauben

Fussy Fish

Been reading up on the tricks to get Flash to eat. Soaked his pellets in garlic juice. No go. Tried some flakes. Won't eat them. So far, all he has accepted is sun dried baby shrimp and freeze dried bloodworms. For everything, he tastes it and spits it out. With the baby shrimp and blood worms, at least he eventually eats them, after spitting them out several times.

My question is if I try frozen food, what types should I get? I found a source for frozen misquito larvae. Found some for frozen baby shrimp too.
bllauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #2 
Myates

He must of been fed FD prior to you getting him.. it's pretty common for stores to do that, hoping to brighten them up to sell. I would try fasting him for a few days then offer pellets (he should be eating them, silly fish! It's like getting a kid to eat their veggies, it's good for them, they need it, but be darned trying to get them to eat them without some sort of fight lol)
Frozen you could do what you saw, as well as frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #3 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
He must of been fed FD prior to you getting him.. it's pretty common for stores to do that, hoping to brighten them up to sell. I would try fasting him for a few days then offer pellets (he should be eating them, silly fish! It's like getting a kid to eat their veggies, it's good for them, they need it, but be darned trying to get them to eat them without some sort of fight lol)
Frozen you could do what you saw, as well as frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms.
If he's new give him time, my new fish took 16 days to eat at first and now he waits for his pellets every day and gobbles them up!
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #4 
bllauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Don't laugh at me... but what is FD? If it is supposed to brighten them up, the store is doing something wrong because the other bettas did not look too well. Flash was probably the healthiest and the most energetic one there. I picked him because he's the only one that came to the edge of the cup when I walked by. Showed me his colors and it was love at first sight.

I think I would rather go the frozen route. I try to feed my cats a diet that resembles what they would get in the wild (I've had too many issues with pet food and my pets' health. Lost a springer because of the whole situation, but that is another story). I think the frozen foods would resemble what Flash would be getting in the wild. May be use the pellets as occassional treats.

--Beth
Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #5 
bllauben

One more question: would it make a difference if I got the white or red misquito larvae? The pet store offers both.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #6 
jman828

It does't matter which ones
FD= Freeze Dried

Keep us posted! :)

Last edited by dramaqueen; 10-23-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #7 
alysalouise

frozen and live foods should only be offered once a week as treats unless your conditioning your betta for breeding, pellets should be an everyday food not the FD or live or frozen
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #8 
jman828

+1
Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #9 
bllauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysalouise View Post
frozen and live foods should only be offered once a week as treats unless your conditioning your betta for breeding, pellets should be an everyday food not the FD or live or frozen
I want to feed Flash something he would eat in the wild, or come close to it. The pellets seems so unnatural. I don't feed kibble to my cats (well, one is feral and refuses it). I don't eat processed foods. It does not seem natural. I am kind of glad that Flash has refused pellets the more I think about it because, in the long run, the less processed stuff he eats, I think, it's going to be better for him. He's refusing it anyways. Why not give him something he would eat in the wild?