Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #1 
Ajones108

Bad Water Change? Unusually Sick Betta

Hi everyone! So I had my yellow VT in a divided 10g tank with another betta and he didn't like the arrangement, so I moved him into his own 2.5g tank with a heater and he's been happy go lucky ever since.

I did a water change on his tank yesterday and when I did, I couldn't find the usual bowl I use to cup him in, so I had to use a bigger one that didn't sit in the tank all the way. I acclimated him to the water, but I don't think the bowl was able to take to the tank temperature...

He's been surface and corner surfing all day, just sitting there... He won't eat, he won't move. Last night he wouldn't come out of his cave, he just looked at me with angry little eyes. He acknowledges my finger when I put it up to him but otherwise, he's a floating rock.

He has no signs of parasites, lesions, swelling, no pineconing, no signs of general illness but I can tell he's stressed. What should I do about his situation? Should I hope he comes back out of shock?

My fiance purchased me a 25w heater to put in my other 10g tank so if his condition can hold for two more days I can move him into a more stable tank (he has a flat pre-set heater right now but it never takes the tank abouve 82). Should I do anything until then? I just wish he would eat. Should I dangle a bloodworm in front of him and see if it urges his appetite?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

He could also be adjusting to the new tank. Change can be scary for the fish!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #3 
Ajones108

But he's been in this smaller tank for a few weeks now and he was in it before I put him in the 10g. It was just a water change. He's used to these things. @_@
Old 10-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Ah, I misread, I assumed you meant you just moved him!

Maybe it is a little bit of shock. I hope he snaps out of it! Try not to do anything to stress him out while he gets used to it! But make sure there is nothing else that could be up!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 
Fieldz

Maybe the bowl you used had soap and affected your betta. Firstly put the termostat to 80 Fahrenheit and a coat or something like that around his tank at night so the lights dont bother him (I do that with my betta and when I leave at 7A.M to school I feed him and he sleeps a bit more :D ). Second try feeding him, but NOT much at this time. Give him just some bloodworms, because too much is bad for him.

Good luck. He will get better.

Last edited by Fieldz; 10-17-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #6 
Myates

It may of been the temp difference, if you said you acclimated him to the chemistry properly. Or he just got extra stressed during this one change.. sometimes it happens.
You can definitely try the blood worm and see if that helps. Otherwise, just keep the tank itself dim (don't need to cover it like mentioned above), if you have Stress coat, add in a few drops to soothe him.
As long as he isn't showing any other signs, he should be well by tomorrow. Just keep an eye on him and let us know how he is doing.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #7 
Ajones108

His water conditioner is stress coat. I'll try to give him a bloodworm in a few minutes. Also, I never use soap with my fish bowls or tanks so I know it's not that.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #8 
Ajones108

Update: He ignored the bloodworms. Something really IS ailing him. I'll keep his tank dark and wait it out. @_@
Old 10-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #9 
sarahbeth1976

Keep us posted...my guess is that its illness & not just stress.
sarahbeth1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #10 
Ajones108

As of right now he's still surface skimming... Hoping that he pulls out of it soon.