Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #1 
erinandares

Stocking my twenty gal

Driving up to Louisville to pick up my twenty gallon tank on Monday. :3 So the question of the day is what can I put in it? I'll be dividing it in two, so Ares and Hermes each have a ten gallon section. I've been reading other people's threads and all like a super creep trying to glean some information, but I decided it would be easier to just post a thread of my own since my tank will be different, just like everyone's tanks are different. Lol.

What I was thinking about was maybe putting a couple ADFs in on each side. Do ADFs require live plants? Because if so, that idea can be scratched. I was also debating some celestial pearl danios on one side (with the red VT Ares) and some type of rasboras on the other. Any suggestions on what type of rasbora would both look good with a black and blue betta and also be compatible with him? Since he is, you know, a betta. ;) Or would the two shoals be overstocking the 20? If I bought them, I would probably want around six per shoal. Just some questions. (:

Thank you for any advice!~
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:23 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

CPD's are very small, not even an inch big and very shy fish. A betta may be too much for them. I have a Gourami with my CPD's but he's a calm peaceful fish and my CPD's have been here much longer than him. The 6 I have share a 15g tank with the Gourami. Personally, I would say no on the CPD's. But it's up to you :) Rasboras are calm fish (I have harlequins) and big enough to hold their own :) They like groups of 5+.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:30 AM   #3 
erinandares

Thank you for the extra info on the CPDs. I was looking at the harlequins, they look nice and I've heard other people say they're good with bettas, as well. Hermes is a relaxed guy, he just sits in his water and makes bubblenests all day, then stops and sits under them trying to look hardcore when he notices I'm watching him. The rasboras would be with him. Ares is going to be a bit more difficult to decide for. He's extremely aggressive to anything that isn't my finger feeding him food. I got him to jump and grab it off my fingernail. So cute!

Ahem.

Well, do you have a particularly aggressive betta? Do you think since he is so aggressive, I would be better off leaving him alone? I would hate to have ten entire gallons with only one fish in there, but if it's what's best for him, there's no way around it. :3
Old 10-16-2011, 03:04 AM   #4 
Pitluvs

My Ben and Nixon are the terrorizers of the house, Spidey and Hughie are scared of everything and Twitch and Freddy are neutral easy going. They would be my only two I would put fish with. You could always try the rasboras with Ares, if it doesn't work then put them with Hermes :) If they do work, you could put another type with Hermes. Seems to be a waste to have just a betta in half the tank, but I am sure he would say otherwise! Bettas like having their own space :)

I've only every had rasboras, the rest of the fish I have wouldn't be suitable for a divided 20g with bettas (swords too big, tetras too fast and danios too nippy).
Old 10-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #5 
erinandares

Allright, thank you. (: I'll see what people say about the ADFs, too. I'm really interested in having a few, but according to what I've read, they have specific needs and bettas tend to hog their food and such. Lol. I'm pretty sure, though, if there were a shoal of several rasboras, and they all stcuk together, Ares' ideas about them would be a bit more limited. Maybe, if all else fails, I can divide it into three and put another betta in, then it would look fuller and I could have three bettas. :D
Old 10-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

If you have one betta that is too aggressive for tankmates, you could divide the 20 three ways: two 5 gallon sections with solitary bettas, maybe just a snail for friends, and a ten gallon section in the middle with your peaceful betta and his buddies. :)
Other rasboras that might be good are dwarf (borasas maculata) and mosquito (borasas briggittae). Ember tetras are also lovely for 10 gallons. :)

Sorry, can't help you on the ADF thing. They aren't lega here. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

^^ Good idea! I would divide it twice though, Wouldn't want the areas to become too cramped with side to side room. But again, I don't have a 20g tank lol
Old 10-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

Lol, sorry! Getting posters confused. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #9 
LittleNibbles93

I USED TO LIVE IN LOUISVILLE!!! :D That is so awesome. Could you live near me? *gasp* No body in this little dinky place called "Brownsville" likes bettas, infact I question if people even own fish (I know one person who owns koi fish in her yard)

Back on topic >_>

I don't really know alot about fish that come in shoals, since all I've ever had were guppies, bleeding heart tetras, and Chinese algae eaters with a betta, and he was a pretty relaxed guy.

I don't particularly like danios, I had Silver Danio's that my grandfather gave me a year ago, those bugger would NOT sit still for a single moment, and stressed our angelfish out to the point she swam upside down! So, we got rid of them, they freaked everybody out in the tank (there was 5 of them, we had them in a 75 gallon tank)
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #10 
erinandares

Haha, I live in Radcliff. All the bettas disappear off the shelves rather quickly, but that is with every new shipment, and this town isn't that big. I suspect there are a lot of 'put it in a bowl and leave it on the kitchen counter' type of people who go through bettas like normal people go through lightbulbs. :/

I like the idea to divvy the tank into three. That was my thought when I figured Ares was too aggressive for friends. Only I was going to divide them equally. There's a funny little story... My friend gave me four little glowlight tetras for my birthday two days ago. We put them in with Hermes since I didn't really have anywhere else to put them, and he basically ignored them. But then I had to change the water for Hermes, so I plopped them in with Ares and he instantly started trying to eat them. O.o I took them away from him.

They died. We took them back, got the money back, and I bought a gravel siphon instead. Lol

My tank isn't particularly long, but it is pretty deep. I think the lack of side to side spaceis compensated for in the front to back space. I'm pretty sure bettas have a limited understanding of the difference between side to side and front to back, as long as they have adequate room to swim. Hm.

The thing about snails... I'm deathly afraid of invertebrates. Lol. So no snail. I think if I had the two fives and the one ten, Hermes could have a few panda cories. Or if I just left it to the two sections, I could have a marimo ball with Ares. I guess in the end, it all depends on my indecisiveness. Lol

Last edited by erinandares; 10-17-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: just because :p