Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #1 
DarkMoon17

Arrow Red Dragon X Black Copper Dragon

I'm happy to say that I have finally got a spawn going!! Actually, they've been going for awhile now, I've just been far too busy to post! Apparently the fry like my college-time apartment's water much more than my house's well. So, I spawned the pair August 25/26th. They hatched on the 28th and are now a little over 7 weeks old. There is a grand total of 161 and 48 males have been jarred.

I'll upload their growth chart when I get home, it's not on me atm. They are currently around 1 inch and growing like weeds! Currently eating NLS, Atison's Betta Pro, frozen glassworms and frozen bloodworms. From my experience they will develop more dragon scales with time but I'm not sure so correct me if I'm wrong. They should also be long finned since the female is not a plakat.

Parents: Kuma (male) HMPK Red Dragon

Oreo (female) SD/HM Black Copper Marble Dragon- her dorsal looks better than pictured lol

Some fry, more pics later :)

DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #2 
MadMay

*drool* I like the dam the best but they are all very beautiful!
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

Isn't she cute!? Some of the fry look like her, but most of them have a lot of red. I hope to cross her with a few other males in the future :)
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #4 
TequilatheBetta

Wow, they're all beautiful :)
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #5 
trilobite

Very nice pair and spawn. I particularly love the first male fry you showed us.
Are you going to do an F2 to get hmpk back?
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #6 
Tisia

I so want one of the ones that look like mommy, she's adorable
love the second male too, those little red splotches on his anal fin are really cute
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #7 
ChelseaK

Umm... Wow. :)

How was your Dragon to non-dragon ratio?

I'm about to cross Dragon x non-dragon and I have read that my dragon scaling, if I have any in the fry, will not be very heavy in the F1, but my intention is to back cross to the Dragon male. So I'm very interested in the dragon genetics right now so I'm so stoked that you started this thread :)) <--double chin smile
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

@trilobite: I do plan to do a F2 but I haven't decided which direction to take it. I LOVE plakats but they are more difficult to find homes for and I don't have room for unsellables (and I don't cull) so it puts me in a bit of a spot! We'll see what comes out of this one. There are a number with really nice finnage :)

@ChelseaK: Well, both parents were dragon scaled so almost all the fry have at least 25% coverage I'd say. There are a few with very little and there are also a few with pretty nice coverage (75-80%). The red finned ones have the heaviest scaling which I find interesting. I now they will develop more with age, in fact they didn't even begin showing the scaling until they were about 4 weeks old and they seem to have more every day. I'm not sure how many generations it will take to get full or at least 90% coverage but if you cross one with relatively good coverage back to the male then you should see some good ones.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I read somewhere (I think it was in the local forum) you should get full masked drgn in F3. .... I haven't reached that far yet.

IME non full mask (dark on the top of their heads) will not produce full mask. FM + NFM = a few FM. Thus it would be safe to say that you'd get full masks in F3 if you back cross to a fm parent.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #10 
DarkMoon17

That makes sense Indjo, so it will probably be some time before we can get full masks. Maybe I should invest in a full mask breeder lol