Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 02:31 AM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Question about water changes for people who live with family.

Ugh I guess this is part rant and part question... does your family ever make a fuss about water changes?

Mine does. No mater when I wanna do it, my mom, my brother, ect, will tell me to wait and wait and wait cause it's 'annoying'. They'll try to make me wait until it's too late cause everyone's going to bed and augh.

And then my mom's alwyas on me, telling me I'm changing my water too much and it's going to kill my fish. That kind of bugs me, no matter how many times I explain to her she holds firm. After all, my grandma has a fish tank that's been running for YEARS and she only ever tops off evaporated water (without even using a declorinator). My mom's always telling me I spend too much on my fish, they don't need the things I get them, ect. Just in general. She likes them, and likes looking at them. But not me doing things.

I guess this is just kinda half rant, too. I live at home, but I have my own job and I don't ever ask my mom to pay for any of my fish stuff, and it's starting to make me feel bad how much I get talked down to about my tanks.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:07 AM   #2 
purplemuffin

My family thinks I spoil the heck out of Dionysus (the call his 5 gallon tank a mansion, lol) but they've never stopped me from doing water changes before! Any way you could do it in a way that's less 'in their way' and annoying to them? I don't know how someone changing the fish water would bug someone!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #3 
betaguy

i know EXACTLY what you mean.
ive never personally tried to correct a pet store employee, but on here it seems they usually hold firm and go with their opinion on better fish care. my parents have 0 clue about fish, but they act like they are professionals when i do 100% water changes 1.5 times a week. (3 times every 2 wks)
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #4 
Bambi

Well. I'm 20 so there isn't to much of an issue with being told ican't change my fishe's water.

My dad loves how dedicated i am to caring for my fish.

He does hate me actually doing the water changed though..Because It's an all day process with only a two gallon bucket and a gallon water jug to hold fresh water in.(fill, add all the stuff i need, let sit for a couple hours, add slowly to tank siphoned through a small air hose..siphon out bad water from the bottom, dump, repeat.><)

My dad was also one of those"just top it off" kinda people untill he saw me caring for my fish.

Last edited by Bambi; 10-10-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I live with other people who like to pretty much live in the kitchen and I usually use the sink to fill my gallon jugs so it can be a bit of a hassle when everyones home...I plan my water changes on days when theyre at work or busy...usually saturday morning and friday morning. :)
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #6 
Leeniex

I would be thrilled if any of my sons showed so much dedication to anything besides baseball and facebook.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #7 
BettaMiah

Ugh, same here. I used to have to have my dad do them because he knew how to get it sucking and I didn't, but I got a new gravel vac that you just squeeze a pump and I have just been doing it on my own.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #8 
Dragonlady

The only complaints I get is when I forget to unscrew something from a sink, or convert an entire spare room to mimic a tropical habitat.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #9 
BettaMiah

Ahahaha! Does anyone else get water everywhere?

I have this problem where the Gravel siphon tube that the dirty water poors out of misses the bucket, and dumps a couple of gallons of water on my carpet floor in my room. Oops... At least they didn't notice the leaking ceiling....
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #10 
Lighterman

Godd, same thing with my parents. One minute my dad would say CLOSE THE LIGHT IN YOUR ROOM! Then, YOU ONLY PUT THAT WATER FOR A DAY, THEY'LL DIE. After a while then my sister would holler, FISH FREAK! And then when I dump out the water in the sink my mom would say, Hey! Your gonna disease us with that water....
Lighterman is offline   Reply With Quote