Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #11 
Micho

First of, I would say no!

I have pygmy cories, and I have to say I'm taking bad care of them right now, simply due to the fact that I only have two right now and I prefer to be in a minimum shoal of six recommended ten and above. I'm a bad fish daddy I know. D:

They're fast swimmers, faster than any fish I've owned before they dart around like little monkeys to be honest, they're cute fish. I wouldn't trust Wikipedia since, well it's Wikipedia! Now seriouslyfish recommends a minimum of 42.5 litres which is roughly around 11 gallons.

So once again, no I would not recommend pygmy cories in such a small tank, 10 gallons is the minimum for them. :D
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #12 
elijahfeathers

Yeah, still looking for more feedback. I'm thinking at this point that I might try to get them, and if it proves to be cramped I'll move them to my 10 gallon. It's divided... but one betta can have 2/3rds of the tank with little cories if it doesn't work out.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #13 
Micho

In your ten gallon community they'll do fine, pygmy cories are fast swimmers so they'll most definitely outswim your Betta. I rather put them in the ten gallon first, to be honest five gallon is a bit cramped you'll know this if they just stay in the bottom all of the time.

Pygmy cories need to breathe through their labyrinth organ too, they'll swim middle-lowish level of the tank.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #14 
elijahfeathers

Well, several sites are saying 5 gals is the min for a small school. My thing is my 5 gallon is pretty decently planted. It's also only a little smaller as far as the footprint goes (not a hex, lol), and I understand that cories like to stick to the bottom of the tank?

10g dimensions; 20L x 11W x 13H
5g dimensions; 17L x 9W x 11H
Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #15 
elijahfeathers

lol. Well I guess reading up online I've sort of made up my mind. I have space as a backup, but I think I'm going to do 3-4 of those guys in my 5 gal with the betta. I personally feel it's planted enough and that it should be alright... and if it isn't, I'll simply move them to the 10 gallon their own partition, and when I start to work on that more I'll expand their school into a bigger number.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #16 
Micho

Why would you only do 3 or 4 of them? The minimum of a shoal for them is 6. These guys are tiny, I can't even find mine in my tank at times, grab 6 if you want Cories they do way better in shoals.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #17 
GreenTea

The footprint isn't the issue...It's the space they have to swim and shoal. They only have bout 8 inches front to back by 12 inches length wise to swim in a shoal and that is not much. If you have the space somewhere else like you've mentioned, I'd say put them there to begin with!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #18 
elijahfeathers

Huh. I read a couple places that 3-4 is the min but that 6-12 is ideal.

If I got cories in my 10 gal I'd want to go for a larger species. The pygmies are cute but... not very eye catching in a 10 gallon.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #19 
GreenTea

Yeah, 4 is sort of the bare minimum, 6 is the ideal starting number. You're going to do what you're going to do but that's my two cents.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #20 
elijahfeathers

Well researching says that they should be doable but meh. I'm looking more into that 4 min thing and seeing that it's not looking so hot.

I guess I'll amass an army of ghost shrimp (at least 10 lol) and an apple snail to entertain Aden.

And yeah to me it was looking mostly like a water quality issue at 3-4 min. But at 6 as a true min... not enough room in the 5 gallon.