Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Lots of Questions....

Ok so I haven't had the greatest experience with bettas in the past. I couldn't keep one alive for more than 6 months (I know it's sad).....But I am ready to try again with a brand new tank and new betta. I will be going to my LFS and getting one sometime this week. I would like to get one of the "prettier" (and more expensive) ones this time. I am determined to keep this guy alive and happy, so here is where I need a little help. I just picked up the Marina Cool 10 it is 2.65 gallons and has a filter and I will be heating it also. It was $3.99 at petsmart because it was discontinued so I just HAD to get it! Anyways so I just wanna make sure everything I am doing is right.

Okay so first of all I will feed him 4 pellets a day (2 in the morning and 2 at night), the water will stay at a steady 78. I was just wondering about water changes, how many are ideal per week for a tank this size with a filter? I already read up about acclimating him to the water. Oh and what is the best way to wash off new and used aquarium supplies (decor, gravel, etc..). I've heard to use salt and vinegar but I dont want to try anything until I know whats right. Is there any different needs to bettas with larger fins like what I am thinking of getting?

These might seem like stupid questions, but I really don't want to mess up this time. If you have to add anything that I forgot please do so. Thanks for all the help!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #2 
tpocicat

Smile

Your set up sounds good, except I would feed him more like 6 or seven pellets a day, depending on how much he eats in a short period of time. Clean with water as hot as you can stand it. If you use anything other than water, be sure you rinse it A LOT. Cleansers can hurt your fish.

By the way, there are no stupid questions.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #3 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
Your set up sounds good, except I would feed him more like 6 or seven pellets a day, depending on how much he eats in a short period of time. Clean with water as hot as you can stand it. If you use anything other than water, be sure you rinse it A LOT. Cleansers can hurt your fish.

By the way, there are no stupid questions.
Good God, 6 or 7 pellets would be WAY overfeeding. I only feed mine 2-3 pellets a day and if he gets more, he gets really bloated.
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #4 
cherrybello

I wouldn't use salt or vinegar to clean anything that's going in a tank for any reason. Like tpocicat said, just rinse it with really hot water as hot as you can bear, maybe use a clean old toothbrush to scrub the decos for a bit.

Changing water every 2 days, 50% and then 100% respectively would probably work. One of my bettas lives in a 1ga tank, I do 100% changes every day...

The feeding plan sounds good, please don't follow instructions on the packets and overfeed.

And....
Good luck with your new fishie!
cherrybello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #5 
Banicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryBetta View Post
Ok so I haven't had the greatest experience with bettas in the past. I couldn't keep one alive for more than 6 months (I know it's sad).....But I am ready to try again with a brand new tank and new betta. I will be going to my LFS and getting one sometime this week. I would like to get one of the "prettier" (and more expensive ones this time. I am determined to keep this guy alive and happy, so here is where I need a little help. I just picked up the Marina Cool 10 it is 2.65 gallons and has a filter and I will be heating it also. It was $3.99 at petsmart because it was discontinued so I just HAD to get it! Anyways so I just wanna make sure everything I am doing is right.

Okay so first of all I will feed him 4 pellets a day (2 in the morning and 2 at night), the water will stay at a steady 78. I was just wondering about water changes, how many are ideal per week for a tank this size with a filter? I already read up about acclimating him to the water. Oh and what is the best way to wash off new and used aquarium supplies (decor, gravel, etc..). I've heard to use salt and vinegar but I dont want to try anything until I know whats right. Is there any different needs to bettas with larger fins like what I am thinking of getting?

These might seem like stupid questions, but I really don't want to mess up this time. If you have to add anything that I forgot please do so. Thanks for all the help!
Hi BlackberryBetta!

I had a quick look at the tank. My concern is that for a 2.5g, I’m wondering how strong that filter is. You will need to be careful, if it causes a strong current your Betta may not like the environment at all. There may also be a possibility that he will get caught in the intake, tearing fins or getting stuck and drowning! It will be extremely difficult to cycle, making it rather redundant to have the filter going. So you may just wish to leave the filter off so that Betta can enjoy the environment more.

It indicates gravel comes with it, however I can’t find what kind it is. Make sure that the gravel isn’t sharp. Have you also purchased a heater and thermometer? You will require both to ensure the temperature is comfortable for Betta and that the heater doesn’t malfunction. Adjustable heaters are highly regarded because they will switch off at the pre-set temperature, ensuring no roasted Betta!

You may also want to decorate the tank a bit more, it only comes with one silk plant. Bettas love being lazy and active, with lots of hidey places to play around whilst being able to plonk down for a minute to rest. Make sure any decorations don’t snag fins, this can be checked by running a pair of pantyhose across the decoration. If it snags – no good!

Once he has adjusted to the tank, give him about an hour or so. Try feeding him a pellet to see if he eats it. If he does, try another one, and that’ll do for now. The next day try to get into a schedule for feeding, spreading feeding times out is best if possible compared to one block feeding. For example, breakfast, lunch and dinner as opposed to one big lunch. The amount of pellets to feed can depend, if his metabolism is quick then more pellets are ok. But you need to note if he is quite active, and ensure the tank is warm. If it is on the higher end of the acceptable range for Bettas. I would say 2-3 in the morning, and 2-3 at night. My guys both get 6 total a day. It helps them as well if you can, to feed them at the same times each day.

I believe even with the filter, you will still need to do high end water change amounts. I’m just not sure that the filter could successfully cycle the tank because of the size, making the filter redundant. For now I would recommend a 50% mid-week, 100% end-week with filter on or off. Only as a guideline for now, more experienced members may be able to make comment.

Washing off décor just needs hot water rinsed over it. Substrate treated the same, you may find a sieve useful for this (rice drainer). Do not use salt or vinegar :)

Larger fin Bettas will find strong currents distressing and can tear themselves very easily.

Hope this helps mate :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #6 
Myates

You've gotten some good, sound advice, but I'll add in my 2 cents :)

Banicks is correct on making sure the filter isn't too strong. You can baffle it with an aquarium sponge in the outflow using a rubber band to hold it in, as well as use panty hose on the intake to make sure his fins don't get sucked in.

With a filtered 2.5 gal tank you will want to only do 1 50% water change per week, as well as a couple times a month siphon out the substrate, or stir the substrate up and cup out the water then (this will count as your 50%). Doing a 100% with filter isn't always idea.. since you aren't going to be cycling it prior to adding in the fish, you will still have a semi cycle on it's own, and eventually it may completely cycle itself. You don't want to risk killing the bacteria in the filter by doing too many water changes.

If you decide not to go with a filter, you will be wanting to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week. Make sure to always add in the full amount of water conditioner, regardless of how much water you replace.

Soak that gravel in water (replacing the water every so often) for a few days to a week, as those dyes can easily leech into the water and discolor it.

4-6 pellets a day for him is about average, you will be able to tell what is best for him. If he is very active, then I would say 6, not so much, then 4 is good. If they are "mini/micro" pellets, 8-10 a day (spread out between 2-3 feedings).

Otherwise Banicks pretty much has you covered =) good luck!

Last edited by Myates; 10-17-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #7 
BlackberryBetta

Thank you so much for all the great help! It really helps me out! I am for sure getting to fish tomorrow, is it okay to set the tank up tonight? I am going to put the pantyhose on the filter ( thats a great idea! ) and possibly baffle it if it's too strong. So I was just wondering if it is okay to set up a day in advance?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #8 
Banicks

Hi BlackBerryBetta,

Setting your tank up now is perfectly fine. It will allow the filter to run and take out any floaty things and also the heater to warm up. Make sure you rinse the gravel or soak it to remove any left over dye, and monitor the temperature for fluctuations.

If everything is ok the next day then you can get your Betta and prepare him for entrance into his new home using the method below:

1. Retrieve your new betta. Wash its cup or bag thoroughly (no soap!) but gently to get anything off. Place your betta to “bob” in the tank at the top. Note: If in a cup (which should have holes at the top), make sure the cup does not sink! Keep it upright to avoid drowning your friend.

2. Allow your betta to “bob” for about 5 minutes to get used to the temperature of the tank. After 5 minutes, add a small amount of the new tank’s water to its cup to “acclimate” to it.

3. Repeat this step at least 2 more times for at least 10 or so minutes. If you do not, you run the risk of killing your fish due to shock. The longer, the better! Try for a half hour.

4. Now comes a potentially tricky part- have paper towels on hand! Remove your bettas cup from bobbing. You can do this one of two ways:

a. Netting method: This method requires you to carefully hold the (cleaned!) net over a sink and gently pour out some of the cup’s water, being careful not to drop the betta out. Aim to get as many nasties out as you can. With some water still in the cup, pour the water and betta into the net gently, so it falls softly in the net and the water leaves. Gently place the net into the tank and let it swim out gently.

b. Cup method: Carefully drain a large amount of the cup’s water out into a sink, without letting your fish fall out. Return to the tank with a little water left in the cup and plop the betta in- avoid letting as much icky cup water in as possible!

Last edited by Banicks; 10-19-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #9 
BlackberryBetta

Thank you so much Banicks (and everybody else too!). You have no idea how much this helps me out! I actually didn't have time to set it up lAst night but I will definitely do it before I get the betta! I am bursting with excitement right now! I was thinking of a getting a pretty cellophane if the have one, what do you guys think?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #10 
Banicks

What's a cellophane?