Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #21 
Sena Hansler

So, if your bettas tailed was bitten... that really is symmetrical =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #22 
Luimeril

that looks more like a betta who was attacked by another.... you can see on the anal fin, another chunk missing. lyre tail isn't a tail type in bettas yet.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #23 
GreenTea

Sorry, that information is not correct. There are not lyre tail bettas.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

although seeing a lyretail betta pop up would be funny
Old 10-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #25 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by finney View Post
Not necessarily, especially with fish and herps. A lot of leucistic fish (gold neons, gold pristellas, chocolate albino plecos) are leucistic but have red eyes. They're not albinos - although they generally look just as cool. :)

FWIW, all the leucistic fish I've ever had have been sighted. I had a 15 year old chocolate pleco and then got another just a few months ago, I've had gold pristellas, and my old roomie had gold neons. All those fish could see. Oddly, albino angels are sighted, as are albino tinfoil barbs.

It just seems to be the bettas that are blind when albino/red eyed.

Also, my pure white cat... is deaf.

Blind fish. Deaf cats. ALL I WANT ARE SOME PETS THAT WORK RIGHT!!! (I kid, of course. I'd literally die for my kittyboy.)
Not all albino bettas are blind, blindness is simply a risk of albino and it is due to genetics. Also, deafness is common in white cats, as is diabetes. In fact, you often see the two together (that doesn't mean you need to worry about your boy it's something I see a lot of)! And I'm in the same situation, all my pets are special, and not necessarily in the good way lol They keep me busy that's for sure!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #26 
Sena Hansler

I knew not all were blind, but a good number were. same like bettas with longer tails tend to bite more - not all do.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #27 
LittleBettaFish

I've found my albino guppies aren't as hardy as my other guppies.

I lost the albino male two days after he was shipped to me, and his two females usually just sit on the bottom of their tub.

Splash, a gene carried in horses is also likely to result deafness depending on how it is phenotypically expressed. It usually only occurs when the white covers the ears.

I find it interesting how some genes are linked like that. Seeing how many problems albinism seems to create unless carefully and selectively bred, I can see why so many don't survive in nature.

Also I find that supposed lyre tail to be a very unappealing fish visually. It looked like some other betta has just taken a piece out of its tail.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

Hmm cool :) Well I noticed many of my marble balloon mollies had a shorter life span and more problems with birth than my regular, or leopard mollies o_O there's gotta be some kind of genetics in the background of problems lol
Old 10-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #29 
finney

What about this? Or is that double tail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Also, deafness is common in white cats, as is diabetes. In fact, you often see the two together (that doesn't mean you need to worry about your boy it's something I see a lot of)!
It's usually the blue eyed whites, but he's hazel eyed and deaf. Never could conform, this one. ;) He's almost 12 and no sign of diabetes yet, so if it does crop up, it's probably age and not linked with coat color. What my vet DOES see, however, is buttloads of white cats with chronic pancreatitis (which my guy does have... he's gonna be on and off prednisolone for the rest of his life, by the looks of it). Anecdotal evidence, but weird none the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I've found my albino guppies aren't as hardy as my other guppies.

I lost the albino male two days after he was shipped to me, and his two females usually just sit on the bottom of their tub.
Albino angels are the same way. They breed like crap... infrequently (at least in angel terms), have very small clutches, and the fry are very fragile and few survive. The adults are almost always smaller than comparable angels.

My friend bred fancy guppies for a while, and always had problems with the "gold" gene. It started with a pair of tequila sunrise, and he let them free breed and selectively bred from there. Any with the gold body never lived as long and many of the females died giving birth. The ones with the traditional grey bodies were hardy as anything though.
finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #30 
GreenTea

That is a double tail veil tail. Like I said about lyre tail bettas - They don't exist!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote